Woman needs major help deciding what to do!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rcullen83

Woman needs major help deciding what to do!

#1 Post by rcullen83 »

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg as I don't have it, but I desperately need new windows.

I live in SE Minnesota so our weather is pretty extreme. I need help deciding between the two.

Sovereign Rever windows, with a great warranted, and the salesman knew what he was talking about OR
Richlin Windows from Hayfield MN. I can't find any reviews on Richlin, but they have 2 pane and 3 pane windows. The company is having a sale so I wouldn't have to pay for the Krypton gas so to get 3 pane windows, it would only be roughly 1200 more.

Like I said, i can't spend an arm and a leg because I just don't have the fund. I haven't heard the greatest reviews on Richlin windows when comparing their warranty.

I also was looking at Anderson Renewal windows, but I just don't think I can afford it. The salesman for the Andersons said I should get the "better" window and only do like half the windows this year and then some more the next year. Is that advisable?

Please HELP! i know nothing!

Thanks in advance!

Skydawggy

Re: Woman needs major help deciding what to do!

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Avoid Renewal by Andersen(over-priced, mid performance) and Revere (Alside). Some of the windows the Pros on here agree they like are made by Sunrise, Gorell, Okna, Softlite and Simonton. There are other good brands but we all agree you can't go wrong if you stick with these brands.

rcullen83

#3 Post by rcullen83 »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Avoid Renewal by Andersen(over-priced, mid performance) and Revere (Alside). Some of the windows the Pros on here agree they like are made by Sunrise, Gorell, Okna, Softlite and Simonton. There are other good brands but we all agree you can't go wrong if you stick with these brands.
Thanks. Are they all reasonable priced?

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Depends on what you consider reasonable. Most have several different grades. Often the differences in performance are slight because these manufacturers have a commitment to quality even in their more budget focused lines.

rcullen83

#5 Post by rcullen83 »

Lets put it this way, what's the best budget-friendly window for a single mom who lives paycheck to paycheck who doesn't necessarily want to take out a 10,000 loan. I need new windows, but I can't spend an arm and a leg. I want something that will last that is reasonably priced.

Chip

#6 Post by Chip »

Get a quote for Simonton and softlite. These windows are good and are priced right for someone on a tight budget. Stay away from Alside.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

rcullen83 wrote:Lets put it this way, what's the best budget-friendly window for a single mom who lives paycheck to paycheck who doesn't necessarily want to take out a 10,000 loan. I need new windows, but I can't spend an arm and a leg. I want something that will last that is reasonably priced.
How many units?

Why are you considering replacement window? If you think that is the dominant source of your heat loss, you should probably do a more critical evaluation of the home.

rcullen83

#8 Post by rcullen83 »

Windows on Washington wrote:
rcullen83 wrote:Lets put it this way, what's the best budget-friendly window for a single mom who lives paycheck to paycheck who doesn't necessarily want to take out a 10,000 loan. I need new windows, but I can't spend an arm and a leg. I want something that will last that is reasonably priced.
How many units?

Why are you considering replacement window? If you think that is the dominant source of your heat loss, you should probably do a more critical evaluation of the home.
I have 8 double hungs and 1 picture window. When I bought the house, the furnace/air unit was new. The windows are the original windows, and I have some leaks so they need to be replaced, at least the ones with leaks.

Thanks, I'll try to find a dealer around here that sells those units.

Appreciate the help!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

You should be able to get a very good window for the $500-800 range.

It is tough to comment on price because things are regional and vary from vendor to vendor.

Do your research here and be that much better equip to sort through the BS in window presentations and get yourself a good product.

A little bit of homework on this end of things will pay big dividends on the final product.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

The Richlin is a nice window and has respectable performance numbers.I rarely use them because my they are expensive.Maybe the company you contacted gets a great price on them? you should be able to bring the cost down if you are doing inserts and skip window wrapping if trim is in good condition.

rcullen83

#11 Post by rcullen83 »

I'm thinking to go with Richlin as I cannot find any dealers around my area that sell the windows mentioned above. I'm assuming we're both talking about the Hayfield company. Do you happen to know if the 2 pane and the 3 pane are that much of a difference. I know the U-factor for the 2 pane is .29 where the 3 pane I believe is .16 with Krypton gas. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 1000 to upgrade since the company I'm going through is practically giving the krypton gas to us for little to no cost.

toddinmn

#12 Post by toddinmn »

Triple pane with krypton,Low-e,foam filled is 0.16,skip the foam 0.19, argon instead of krypton 0.23 add foam 0.21. The Kryton triple should be around $150 more per window over the double pane,low-e argon.Could help more if you gave full details of install and price of job.There are alot of varibles in figuring out if the triple pane would be worth it,but typically the payback period would be a long time.If you are living paycheck to paycheck I would have a hard time pushing the triples.

windowmike

#13 Post by windowmike »

IMO
Buying windows is like buying a new car
How long do you expect to stay in this home?
$4 oil impacts payback time

treat this as an investment

installation is important as well
.16 u factor is very very good for an operable window

Pictures would help us help you regarding install