Window Installation - Atlanta Area

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Hajcrow

Window Installation - Atlanta Area

#1 Post by Hajcrow »

Last house did Vinyl windows in 2004 by clear choice $185 per window and drove by the old house today and they still look great. No yellowing or sagging - the wood trim needs some replacement but no one has painted the house since 2003. Now I'm going with the same company but they represent windows manufactured by MGM Industries in TN. It sounds like a good window for our climate
.3/.28 with Low e2 and argon using the ultra spacer by PPG. Originally they wanted to put them in from the outside and cap the frame in aluminum (we just painted with duration less than 2yrs ago) but decided, based on competitive quotes, to put them in from the inside. My questions are:
Anyone have any experience with MGM Industries Sienna 4600 series?
The inside window stops on most of my windows are fairly close to the front of the window trim - will this cause a cosmetic issue with installation?
Should the windows, assuming they are installed from the interior still be caulked on the outside?
What should I look for during the install?

ranger

Re: Window Installation - Atlanta Area

#2 Post by ranger »

xx

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm sorry but my cost for a high quality window is more than $185 (not including installation). Those might still look okay, but there is a good chance that they are leaking air worse than what they replaced, as well as who knows what else. That price = poor window, and poor install. There is just no way around it... I'm not familiar with MGM specifically, but if they are at the same price point, good luck.

jrr284

#4 Post by jrr284 »

If your buying from a Clear Choice then you should be getting a VISTA product. When Clear Choice USA went through their bankruptcy proceedings, the original owners formed a different company called Americas Best Choice which signed on with MGM Industries. To answer your questions, it is a decent company but in my opinion the VISTA window is a much better window. As far as all the "185", "189" talk.........I dont buy the fact that you are flat out getting junk. I rather speak intelligently about products I know about rather than bash someone elses product. When you have nothing else to say other than....."its junk", what are you doing in the market place. Window World sells the Alside Excalibur and we all know that but there are plenty of "window guys" that install the same window bought from a Alside supply house. Why is Window Worlds Junk and not the "window guys?" Personally I am not a fan of window world at all, in fact they are my largest competitor.....but they sell a ton of windows so if they were all "junk" why would they keep getting referrals and selling so many windows. More credence should be put into the installation process. You want a good product but you should also make sure you are getting a sound and professional installation!

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

jrr284 wrote:If your buying from a Clear Choice then you should be getting a VISTA product. When Clear Choice USA went through their bankruptcy proceedings, the original owners formed a different company called Americas Best Choice which signed on with MGM Industries. To answer your questions, it is a decent company but in my opinion the VISTA window is a much better window. As far as all the "185", "189" talk.........I dont buy the fact that you are flat out getting junk. I rather speak intelligently about products I know about rather than bash someone elses product. When you have nothing else to say other than....."its junk", what are you doing in the market place. Window World sells the Alside Excalibur and we all know that but there are plenty of "window guys" that install the same window bought from a Alside supply house. Why is Window Worlds Junk and not the "window guys?" Personally I am not a fan of window world at all, in fact they are my largest competitor.....but they sell a ton of windows so if they were all "junk" why would they keep getting referrals and selling so many windows. More credence should be put into the installation process. You want a good product but you should also make sure you are getting a sound and professional installation!
1.Please "intelligently" defend how a quality window and installation can be had for $185.
2. To elaborate, the window (Excalibur) has a flimsy extrusion, leaks air, poor quality control, and uses cheap parts. Further, I don't believe that I have seen anyone criticize it as it relates only to WW, it is pretty much regarded as being poor by all, and in all circumstances except by those who are uninformed.
3. "Why do they keep selling so many?" .... I'm sure that you aren't naive enough to think that it is because of the quality. Don't underestimate the number of cheap people out there. WW and CC sure didn't, and that is how they sell so many windows... It sounds as though you are affiliated with one of those companies, so I'm sure that you already know that. :mrgreen:

jrr284

#6 Post by jrr284 »

Quality is not described by how much you charge......if your measuring tool for quality is price, then does Sears and Champion have the best window? What do you get when you pay $1000.00 an opening that is so much better than $200-$600 an opening from other major competitors?

I am not involved with the "189" window guys but it doesnt bother me that they are in the market place. You only spoke on Window Worlds window......I believe this thread was started with questions about Clear Choice.....is there anything you can offer about that company that would give credence to your statement "that price= Poor window, and poor install?" Again, I dont really care what everyone is selling or buying for that matter but it seems wierd that people have so many reasons why something is bad but rarely tell us about why something is so much better.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

jrr284 wrote:Quality is not described by how much you charge......if your measuring tool for quality is price, then does Sears and Champion have the best window? What do you get when you pay $1000.00 an opening that is so much better than $200-$600 an opening from other major competitors?

I am not involved with the "189" window guys but it doesnt bother me that they are in the market place. You only spoke on Window Worlds window......I believe this thread was started with questions about Clear Choice.....is there anything you can offer about that company that would give credence to your statement "that price= Poor window, and poor install?" Again, I dont really care what everyone is selling or buying for that matter but it seems wierd that people have so many reasons why something is bad but rarely tell us about why something is so much better.
I offered specifics in #2 above. I have stated that I am not intimately familiar with the window that is sold by a particular company in a particular market, and while generally I'd agree that it is difficult to assess a product based on price alone, I would say that does not apply here. The fact of the matter is that the "going rate" for a proper installation is $100+. That leaves $85 left for a window, with no overhead or profit considered :!: It just can't happen. Something has to give, and at that price, in my experience, it is the quality of both the installation and the product. Volume pricing is great, but it is still on a low-end product, by installers who are paid significantly less than they could get elsewhere. People can draw their own conclusions based on those facts.... Generally what you'll find on these boards is professionals recommending a high-quality product and installation, at a fair price. That shouldn't cost over $1000, and CAN'T cost $200.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pulling up a chair.

samantha77

#9 Post by samantha77 »

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Where did you get a popcorn eating smiley face??

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

it looks like jrr didn't have answers for those questions... How about you Samantha? You like WW , perhaps you have some answers. :mrgreen:

toddinmn

#11 Post by toddinmn »

I have never seen a bid a quote from WW for $189 per window.Yes, it starts at $189 but then they start nickel and dming you.Things such as storm window removal, insulating pockets,window disposal, window wrapping, ect. Any of the bids I have seen are all over $300 with out window wrapping.I can't comment on CC since i haven't seen any of there bids.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote:I have never seen a bid a quote from WW for $189 per window.Yes, it starts at $189 but then they start nickel and dming you.Things such as storm window removal, insulating pockets,window disposal, window wrapping, ect. Any of the bids I have seen are all over $300 with out window wrapping.I can't comment on CC since i haven't seen any of there bids.
Well then its just a bait and switch.. So pick your poison: questionable window & install for $200, or get nickel and dimed to $300-$400 and still have a questionable install, as well as approach the price range where you could find a better product/company... And to clarify, I don't have a problem with "a-la-carte" pricing, as different jobs have different needs, but then don't build the identity of your company on a price that few of your customers ever actually pay. That's just dishonest and misleading.

buddy110

#13 Post by buddy110 »

toddinmn wrote:I have never seen a bid a quote from WW for $189 per window.Yes, it starts at $189 but then they start nickel and dming you.Things such as storm window removal, insulating pockets,window disposal, window wrapping, ect. Any of the bids I have seen are all over $300 with out window wrapping.I can't comment on CC since i haven't seen any of there bids.
In my area anything under about $400.00 per window and you didn't pay enough. So I agree with HS and his logic. You simply can't purchase a properly installed quality window for less than that.

samantha77

#14 Post by samantha77 »

I don't want to be pegged as the resident WW supporter. All I said earlier was it probably isn't fair to assume they're all jerks. I have no intention of defending WW... and even less desire to be anywhere near Clear Choice! I'm a little surprised it too them so long to go bankrupt.

I do think it's possible to get a good window with installation for under $400. I hope that doesn't make me a jerk :shock:

buddy110

#15 Post by buddy110 »

samantha77 wrote: I do think it's possible to get a good window with installation for under $400. I hope that doesn't make me a jerk :shock:
Not here in NY it's not. I'm sure other parts of the country are different