Unanswered 2' x 6' single hung vinyl windows question?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Texwindow

Unanswered 2' x 6' single hung vinyl windows question?

#1 Post by Texwindow »

OK, I posted this question in the "Do it yourself" section and no one seems to want to answer the question. They are Jeld Wen premium, I know what the manufacture recommends, but I want to know what the installers think and do. Please give your opinion.

I am installing 2' x 6' single hung vinyl windows and have been installing shims at six different spots on each side. Is this enough? They are spaced about 12 inches apart. Too Many? Or too little? Thanks

Windows on Washington

Re: Unanswered 2' x 6' single hung vinyl windows question?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Shims are most often used under fasteners to prevent torqued twisting of the frames. Make sure the jamb jacks are adjusted properly and they are shimmed across the fasteners.

Properly installed spray foam will help lock the window in place and support the frame across the entire length of the frame.

Be sure to shim and level the sill properly.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

6 should be more than enough.The taller and cheaper the window the more shims you will need.Looks like you have both of these but don't feel bad my wife says the same about me.make sure it is level and square, then shim the sides as need to keep an even sight line between the sash and frame.Make sure to get it right before you foam the windows in.The other forums don't get much use and I hardly look at them myself.

Texwindow

#4 Post by Texwindow »

Thanks to both of you. Jeld Wen instructions say every 8 inches, but that just seems too excessive to me. The jamb itself is 31/4" deep and multi chambered. Also, Windows on Washington, What is a "Jamb Jack"? Thanks guys

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Depending on the window, there is a small screw that runs through the jamb of the window with a flat head screw on the other side. You can adjust this screw to tighten up the jambs of the window.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Not all windows have this adjuster and some have more than one. It basically does the same thing as shimming.