High quality vinyl window companies?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
lemmy

High quality vinyl window companies?

#1 Post by lemmy »

The companies I see recommended the most are Sunrise, Okna, Gorell, Soft-lite, and Simonton.

Sunrise - only dealer is 150 miles away and they only have the "Essentials" cheaper windows

Okna - no dealer in TN

Soft-lite - no dealer in my area

Gorell - one dealer and that dealer has a bad reputation

Simonton - Many dealers in my area

Are there any others I can try? I am coming from all wood double windows with a large circle top over both windows and I was considering the Marvin Ultimate Double Hung Clad wood window. But those are bit too expensive. Thanks.

randy

Re: High quality vinyl window companies?

#2 Post by randy »

Why not get two or three competing quotes on Simonton 5500 & 9800 series since they are readily available? Simonton's not Sunrise, Okna, or Soft-lite, but they make some good windows that are worth considering.

One good thing about this approach, is that since the window is the same, you can focus more on the installation details.

in_maryland

#3 Post by in_maryland »

Marvin Integrity which are the fiberglass framed windows are nice and cheaper than the wood ones you looked at. As far as Simonton goes they have a good warranty from what I've seen.

lemmy

#4 Post by lemmy »

This is to replace my old wood windows. I love the fiberglass Integrity and Infinity windows. But Integrity are only in some standard sizes that won't work for me. The standard size Marvin Ultimate Double Hung windows and Circle Tops will work, but the gaps between sizes are much bigger for Integrity. I seriously considered Infinity (also ultrex fiberglass) because I think they look great. But they seemed to only do replacement windows as opposed to full frame. That is ok with me since fiberglass is stronger and don't have that thick "frame within a frame" look of vinyl replacement windows. But they really don't have a great solution for my circle tops. They can just replace the glass portion and then use a flexible brick mould for the outside trim.

lemmy

#5 Post by lemmy »

Can someone tell me the differences in the Simonton lines? Several places carry Simonton "Impressions" (9800) and "Refelections" lines. But only one place has the "Prism by Simonton". What is so special about the Prism line? Is it higher end or lower end?

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Prism and Reflections lines are essentially the same.

5050 = Bronze
5300 = Gold
5500 = Platinum

Skydawggy

#7 Post by Skydawggy »

The Prism is distributed exclusively by Norandex. It comes standard with double strength glass and a 25 year glass breakage warranty. The Reflections come standard with single strength glass. You can upgrade the Reflections to double strength for about $10 more and that will give you a 3 year glass breakage warranty. So, if both are the same price, the Prism has the slight edge.

windowmike

#8 Post by windowmike »

I thought Prism Platinum is three year glass breakage and 25 year on seal failure (prorated)
Double strentgh glasss

Skydawggy

#9 Post by Skydawggy »

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

lemmy wrote:This is to replace my old wood windows. I love the fiberglass Integrity and Infinity windows. But Integrity are only in some standard sizes that won't work for me. The standard size Marvin Ultimate Double Hung windows and Circle Tops will work, but the gaps between sizes are much bigger for Integrity. I seriously considered Infinity (also ultrex fiberglass) because I think they look great. But they seemed to only do replacement windows as opposed to full frame. That is ok with me since fiberglass is stronger and don't have that thick "frame within a frame" look of vinyl replacement windows. But they really don't have a great solution for my circle tops. They can just replace the glass portion and then use a flexible brick mould for the outside trim.

Integrity come is custom sizes, check with another dealer. They use ABS for circle tops for now, but they expect to have fiberglass round tops next year