Sears quote

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
nb_pack

Sears quote

#1 Post by nb_pack »

So I just got my sears quote. I have home depot and lowes coming in and then i'll start the quotes from local dealers.

Heres the Sears quote breakdown for their Simonton made window they have. Its for a total of 14 windows. 13 double hungs and 1 big picture window.

-15% discount(some random discount)
-$375 for scheduling through the web
-10% if I had signed right there(which i guess i just lost cause I didnt)
----------
Total = $11,097 for 14 windows. Almost $800 bucks per window. I thought this was excessively high. Any thoughts? I mean it looks like a great window, but not an $800 dollar window.

My guess is Home Depot and Lowes will come in about the same.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

ummm yeah okay, so what is your point? so have 10 more companies come into your house until you can make an educated guess to what their window is worth. what are you looking for price or quality? why does anyone care what your sears price was? no one can tell you if it is a fair price or not. we have not been to your house and have no idea what the project consists of. i dont get the purpose of your post? sorry

nb_pack

price and quality

#3 Post by nb_pack »

I, like most Americans, are looking for both price and quality. I dont mind paying for good quality windows since i'll live in my house for a long time to come. I was just looking for other peoples feedback on what they paid for similar things. Maybe others out there got Sears to do their windows. My windows are all pretty standard size. I think anyone who has gotten similar Simonton windows or windows from Sears themselves can tell me if this is fair or not.

As for my project its 14 windows(as i said). All of standard size. I dont have any huge 5 foot by 5 foot windows or anything. Most all are about 26 inches by 58 inches. I didnt realize my post was that bad. 14 regular size Simonton windows from Sears for 11 grand. I figured somewhere out there someone had an idea.

Now my question is did your post add anything? Then what was the point of your post? Sorry I tried to get some info.

windowrep

#4 Post by windowrep »

sears will usually be the most costly estimate you will receive.simonton by no means is an $800 window as a matter of fact no window is worth $800[dh or 2lt]. keep up your search. when you feel comfortable with the product, the price,the salesperson you will buy. just like anything else you buy retail. if your not comfortable and have any reservations do not buy. good luck

nb_pack

question

#5 Post by nb_pack »

Whats 2lt? I assume dh is double hung.

The U Factor

Re: Sears quote

#6 Post by The U Factor »

nb_pack wrote:So I just got my sears quote. I have home depot and lowes coming in and then i'll start the quotes from local dealers.

Heres the Sears quote breakdown for their Simonton made window they have. Its for a total of 14 windows. 13 double hungs and 1 big picture window.

-15% discount(some random discount)
-$375 for scheduling through the web
-10% if I had signed right there(which i guess i just lost cause I didnt)
----------
Total = $11,097 for 14 windows. Almost $800 bucks per window. I thought this was excessively high. Any thoughts? I mean it looks like a great window, but not an $800 dollar window.

My guess is Home Depot and Lowes will come in about the same.
What part of the country are you in, this will have an impact on your pricing, what features did the window that sears showed you have??

HipKat

#7 Post by HipKat »

2lt means 2 light as in slider maybe??
I'm gonna go ahead and say it...
Buying windows from Sears is stupid. They're always overpriced, and high presure and it's just not worth it.
BTW, Home depot and Lowes?? C'mon man. All three of those are scraping the bottom of the barrel. That's like shopping at Kmart for Armani.

nb_pack

windows

#8 Post by nb_pack »

I'm in Raleigh,NC area.

As for Sears they said they had a fusion welded vinyl double pane window made by Simonton to their specifications. Said it was 98% filled with Argon.

As for the lowes, sears, home depot I was just starting with them to get an idea of the high end quote cause I knew they would be high in price. I'm starting with the local dealers now. Trying to find a good one for Simonton as i've heard good things about their windows.

HipKat

#9 Post by HipKat »

But they're not relevant. They'll give you a quote, but whether it's high or not shouldn't be your consideration. Look for quality. The quotes they give you will be whatever they are, but they'll be on a certain grade of window. I'll tell you right now that anything home depot shows you is going to be a mid-range at best window, and some high presure sales rep will come out and give you a quote and then come up with 40 reasons why he can make it fit your budget. AND he'll go out of his way to show you what a great window it is. Then never talk about installation, insulation, casing covers, the difference between lowE coatings, probably tell you a window that has reproccessed vinyl is 100% vinyl and make it seem like it's virgin vinyl, etc.
Lowes, Sears, no different. look for something that IS quality, from a reputable dealer, not the Walmart of home improvements, and you'll get a great window, with great service, installed right and if it's a great price or a few dollars more, who cares?? It'll last.

I guess I'm just tired, or bored with reading people who shop price over everything, and end up with a piece of garbage that leaks water, isn't very efficient, isn't installed right, isn't insulated, isn't what you thought you were buying, etc, on here, and those posts show up daily.

HipKat

#10 Post by HipKat »

So, what's it like being a shill for home depot?? because, you're not talking to a bunch of naivettes here. Alot of us are in the industry, some of these guyd have been for years and we all know that home depot basicallly sucks, to be blunt about it. Sub contractors, which means installations are not warrantied and service calls ARE charged for (i think it's 50.00, and I know this because our installation manager installs for home depot on the side) plus, you sell junk windows.
But, that's ok, since Home Depot IS the walmart of the home improvement indusrty....

This guy reminds me of Searspro.

HipKat

#11 Post by HipKat »

The "exterior installers" are actually, in most cases, a dude with some friends, who has a contractors license, minimumal liability insurance, some tools in his pick-up truck and a magnet on the side that has his cool company name, like roger's remodelling, or something, that goes to home depot, and asks to be placed on their list of installers. Notice I left ouot certified. BTW, my company has been in business for 40 years, UNDER the same name. Where was "THD" in 1966???

And you can stop trying to imply that the ONLY place that has AMA cerified installers, or whatever, etc is at walmart..I mean THD.
You are a DISCOUNT home improvement store.
Just answer me one qeustion, did they issue that orange smock, or did you have to buy it. BTW, I did some research....
Home depots is now closing on window demos at a whopping 15.5 percent, and one other thing, I've been in plenty of houses after one of your shills was there, and not only do I ALWAYS exceed the quality of the reproccessed crap you sell, including my lowest grade window, but price too.

Bill

#12 Post by Bill »

“I ALWAYS exceed the quality of the reproccessed crap you sellâ€

HipKat

#13 Post by HipKat »

Ok, Bill, we'll draw a line a line here. Mostly, I'm just bugged by this dude.
Truth is, Vista get's there lineals from Veka also.

nb_pack

man...

#14 Post by nb_pack »

I didnt mean to spark such a debate.

Any rate THD came out. I will give it to the guy. He was nice, courteous, and willing to answer all questions honestly no matter what the answer was. He actually told me if money was no object hed put in Renewal By Anderson but said they were expensive.

Any rate he came in at 8700 for the 13 double hungs and 1 gigantic picture window which isnt bad at about 625 a window. Way better than Sears.

Just talked to my neighbor though and he has simonton windows so he gave me his installer. He had them done 5 years ago and they look great. Not a half bad recommendation considering this guy is more anal than me. So is there much difference between the Simonton 9800, 9400, and 5500? Is it worth the upgrade. I'm in Raleigh,NC and weather is usually mild around here. Sometimes hot summers and cold winters but usually stays between 30-80 most of the year.

Bill

#15 Post by Bill »

Judging by the cleansing of this thread it looks like the administrator was a bit bugged by him to.

I will try to explain the differences between the Simonton Windows listed:

The 9400 creates a lot of confusion because it is in the Impressions line and many people assume it is superior to the Reflections 5500; it is not. The 9400 is Simonton’s drop window and it is the same as the Reflections 50/50 with the following upgrades as standard: Low-e/argon, extruded screen frame and two vent latches. This window appears in every Simonton line both Simonton branded and private label without the upgrades. With the upgrades it is not a bad window but I believe a jump to the 9800 or 5500 is worth it.

The 9800 and the 5500 are related; the 9800 is a 5500 on steroids with a face lift. They share the same main frame and mechanical parts but the 9800 has several addition points of weather-stripping and a more attractive sash and lift handle design. The 9800 has glass system upgrades available that will put in the premium performer category. The warranty for the 9800 is stronger in that you get 20 years of glass breakage in its standard form and lifetime failure and breakage if the glass is upgraded.

Now is this all worth the price difference compared to 5500? In my price structure I believe it is but that will have to be decided by you based on what your local pricing is.

If you choose either of these windows I do think and upgrade to Super Spacer make sense.

I hope this helps.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ