Input on these quotes from Alside, Soft-lite and Simonton?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
newbie in Mass

Input on these quotes from Alside, Soft-lite and Simonton?

#1 Post by newbie in Mass »

Hello all,

This board has been extremely helpful in learning about windows and what to look for and avoid. My husband and I live in Boston area and would love input on the quotes we've received. We're replacing 22 dh windows and a 3-light slider.

For dual-glazed, argon and low-e:
Alside Excalibur - $7900
Soft-lite Barrington - $9900
Simonton Impressions 5500 - $15,050

For triple-glazed:
Alside - waiting for quote but est it will be about $10,000
Soft-lite Barrington - $13,750
Simonton Impressions 9800 - $18,500

We decided to skip getting a quote from Schuco due to issues with NE Sash outlined on the board.

We're thinking we should either go cheap and "good enough" (Alside?) or bite the bullet and get impressions 9800, which we thought was the most attractive window and excellent quality as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (Fenex and Window4U - we've found your input especially helpful)

Thanks,
Nancy

ShucoFan

#2 Post by ShucoFan »

Hi Nancy,

It really depends upon your preference and how long you are going to stay in the house. I'm in CT and as you know we get some crazy weather these days.

Triple pane will help from an insulating factor and from a noise perspective.

I tend to think the lower cost windows don't look as nice as the higher end ones (as you noticed). Having said that, you'll have to look at them for years to come. Think about long term investment and QUALITY of installation. Try and get some references from these guys that you can call up.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

I usually do not comment on price because I can’t see the difficulty of the installation but in this case you have provided enough comparables to show a disconnect between the other quotes you have received and the Impressions 9800.

We have been selling the Impressions 9800 since the first one rolled out of Simonton and we love the window and it is definitely superior to the other two but I see too much of a spread between the pricing.

I would not purchase the Alside window listed but you may try contacting the Simonton distributor in your area and get recommendations for contractors who are handling the Simonton Reflections 5500 and see how you do.

The 5500 is a good solid window and I like even better when upgraded to Super Spacer and triple pane is now available in this window. The local distributor can be found easily at the Simonton web site by entering your zip code.

Good luck

Bill
Uneeda Window of N.J.

thd50

Re: Input on these quotes from Alside, Soft-lite and Simonto

#4 Post by thd50 »

newbie in Mass wrote:Hello all,

This board has been extremely helpful in learning about windows and what to look for and avoid. My husband and I live in Boston area and would love input on the quotes we've received. We're replacing 22 dh windows and a 3-light slider.

For dual-glazed, argon and low-e:
Alside Excalibur - $7900
Soft-lite Barrington - $9900
Simonton Impressions 5500 - $15,050

For triple-glazed:
Alside - waiting for quote but est it will be about $10,000
Soft-lite Barrington - $13,750
Simonton Impressions 9800 - $18,500

We decided to skip getting a quote from Schuco due to issues with NE Sash outlined on the board.

We're thinking we should either go cheap and "good enough" (Alside?) or bite the bullet and get impressions 9800, which we thought was the most attractive window and excellent quality as well. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (Fenex and Window4U - we've found your input especially helpful)

Thanks,
Nancy
Some of these prices are not with install are they?

If they are then you are missing something - what is it?

What does the warranty say? who is standing behind it?

Is the install guarenteed? (if only one year - then what does the warranty read? VOID IF IMPROPERLY INSTALLED.)

Your risk in getting this project completed is one of two --

Paying too much - or - Not getting what you paid for.

Is your home a place you want to economize on?

As Clint Castwood said: Are you feeling lucky?

How long can you corss your fingers -- and keep them crossed?

FACT: within 7 years a *very* high percent of vinyl windows fail and are replaced (remodeling.hw.net)

A warranty is the amortization of the life of the product and is only as good as the company or person providing it.

Who is installing the project?
Will they retire?
Will move away?
what happens if they win the lottery?

AS FOR THE PRODUCTS:

For too many reasons to list here i would not put an alsides window in my dog house.

The truth about triple glazed windows -

1 Look at the VLT - visible light transmission. After the sun sets you will be having a time trying to see anything outside..

2 based on an average of 200 per month heating costs the upper end simonton vs an average triple pane window would save you about 19 dollars and change a year - compared to the upfrontaverage cost of 3-500.00 more - this may not take a cacluator to figure out this is a feature that does not truly pay for itself.

On average the simonton window above would be the best bet - call the home depot.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

So that's a Home Depot salesman's pitch.
We local small businessmen who live our entire lives and raise our families in the towns we serve are not worthy of doing business with, .....because someday we'll retire or maybe win the lottery? How ridiculous.

How long has Home Depot even been installing windows?
If "Installed Sales" numbers drop in 5 years, will Home Depot continue their "Installed Sales" subcontractor program, or will corporate drop it and move in another direction that makes more money for the stockholders? (That's an easy one to answer.)
Also, if a big box store signs a contract to carry a new window brand next year, good luck dealing with them with the previous carried window's warranty problems. We've heard of this problem multiple times on this forum in the past.
Or who knows, maybe they will go the way of the nation's 3rd largest Home Improvement warehouse chain, Builders Square. Kmart sold the chain and within a very short time they were gone. Good thing these big box "Installed Sales" subcontractor programs weren't popular when they were still around or there would have been hundreds of thousands of homeowners out of luck for future service.

With all these major corporate buyouts, mergers, and bankruptcies happening all the time, I just can't see how anyone could think a place like Home Depot would be the place to service and warranty their windows long term when they have stable family businesses in their own towns that have been around for decades.

HipKat

#6 Post by HipKat »

I keep waiting to read the part where he admits that casing covers, insulation around the installed window and lowE are UPGRADES and you have to pay extra for them.
Oh wait, he can't admit that.. duh!!

btw, as of September, Home depot's shills "close" at an average of 12% nationwide, on a first call. Nice to see the general public is wisening up.

The U Factor

#7 Post by The U Factor »

thats a cool stat hipkat, where did you hear that?

thd50

#8 Post by thd50 »

HipKat wrote:I keep waiting to read the part where he admits that casing covers, insulation around the installed window and lowE are UPGRADES and you have to pay extra for them.
Oh wait, he can't admit that.. duh!!

btw, as of September, Home depot's shills "close" at an average of 12% nationwide, on a first call. Nice to see the general public is wisening up.
CORRECT: I cannot and will not tell you that the upgrades are extra - because in my area - they are INCLUDED - NOT EXTRA.

Correct again - we are growing fast in our closing ratios as people tend to learn by experience and like the peace of mind they get when purchasing from THD.

I remain
Ck

thd50

#9 Post by thd50 »

Window4U (IL) wrote:So that's a Home Depot salesman's pitch.
We local small businessmen who live our entire lives and raise our families in the towns we serve are not worthy of doing business with, .....because someday we'll retire or maybe win the lottery? How ridiculous.

How long has Home Depot even been installing windows?
If "Installed Sales" numbers drop in 5 years, will Home Depot continue their "Installed Sales" subcontractor program, or will corporate drop it and move in another direction that makes more money for the stockholders? (That's an easy one to answer.)
Also, if a big box store signs a contract to carry a new window brand next year, good luck dealing with them with the previous carried window's warranty problems. We've heard of this problem multiple times on this forum in the past.
Or who knows, maybe they will go the way of the nation's 3rd largest Home Improvement warehouse chain, Builders Square. Kmart sold the chain and within a very short time they were gone. Good thing these big box "Installed Sales" subcontractor programs weren't popular when they were still around or there would have been hundreds of thousands of homeowners out of luck for future service.

With all these major corporate buyouts, mergers, and bankruptcies happening all the time, I just can't see how anyone could think a place like Home Depot would be the place to service and warranty their windows long term when they have stable family businesses in their own towns that have been around for decades.

Thank you for your interest and feedback!

In response to clarify - Corporate will not be dropping installed sales when this is the ever-increasing business in home improvement. Also if you were to read the back of the home imporvement contract (not the back of a business card) -- You will find a form of recourse in the even that THD dissappears, falls off the earth or whatever - in so many words.

I remain
Ck

VRWAdmin
Site Admin

#10 Post by VRWAdmin »

THD50,

At this time we kindly ask that you reach out to the board administrator, as soon as possible, at; winbrd-admin@vinyl-replacement-windows.com

We would have contacted you directly, but you have failed to put any contactinformation in your profile, including an e-mail address.

Thank you.

HipKat

#11 Post by HipKat »

CORRECT: I cannot and will not tell you that the upgrades are extra - because in my area - they are INCLUDED - NOT EXTRA.

Correct again - we are growing fast in our closing ratios as people tend to learn by experience and like the peace of mind they get when purchasing from THD.

I remain
Ck

Umm, you missed my point. See, nationwide, a sales rep shows windows to someone and on an average, they "close" at about 30%.
15% for Walmart, I mean THD.

The public sees the garbage you sell, and the insane mark-up you put on them and responds with an insincere "I'll think about it", right?

Mass. window guy

#12 Post by Mass. window guy »

I am a big fan of Soft-Lite as can be seen on previous posts, HOWEVER I would RUN for the Soft Lite Barrington Series. It is their economy line- it especially makes no sense to put triple pane glass in that frame.
We are the distributor for their premium series in Massachusetts.
Please let me know if you are interested in a quote.