Female needs help--find replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
farmgirl

Female needs help--find replacement windows

#1 Post by farmgirl »

I need some help to find the right company to purchase windows. I have 23, 1973 Anderson vinyl/outside, wood/inside windows that need to be replaced.
I live in the Flint/Saginaw Valley/Thumb area of MI. Would like to find a mid-cost range, product using replacements and not the entire window.

Please let me know what is best for me to check into, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Jan

Windows on Washington

Re: Female needs help--find replacement windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

farmgirl,

I don't think any of the board pros personally know anyone around your specific area.

We can certainly make product recommendations, however, the contractor part is a bit more specific.

I would encourage you to educate yourself on what you can via this board and other resources like this board. Doing so may save you thousands of dollars and get you a better install at the end of the day.

Good luck and please post up questions as they arise.

farmgirl

#3 Post by farmgirl »

Thank you for the reply but it is a lot to digest when one does not know any of the terms needed to make a list.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Since you are on a vinyl window site, I will assume you are interested in vinyl windows.

Some of the brands you will see that get mentioned here frequently are made by Sunrise, Softlite, Okna, Gorell and Simonton. I would either contact the manufacturers or do a Google search for companies that carry those brands in your area.

In Mighigan, I would look for a window with as low a U-factor and as high a solar gain as is financially viable. Triple pane glass wuill give you the best energy efficiency and is a good choice if you can get it for the right price.

farmgirl

#5 Post by farmgirl »

Yes EcoStar Remodeling, I am looking at the vinyl option right now. Thank you for the info on what is needed for my list of requirements. I want to make the right decision the first time by being well prepared with all the options available to me.

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Please feel free to ask questions and update us about your progress.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Eco's advice. A couple other things to consider: Stay away from high pressure companies. You are more likely to fall victim to unethical practices, as well as pay too much. Look for a local dealer of the brands that were mentioned above. Secondly, pay attention to the numbers. Will a difference between a .28 and a .30 U value be a significant difference in energy savings? Probably not, but what seem like small differences in numbers may (and usually do) illustrate a significant difference in quality. Look at structural ratings as well.
If you choose from the brands listed above, you won't go wrong.