Vinyl Replacement Windows in Indiana

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
apoteker

Vinyl Replacement Windows in Indiana

#1 Post by apoteker »

Hi!

We're looking to replace all of the wood casement windows in our house with vinyl casements. The choices in vinyl windows are overwhelming to say the least. From reading through the forum there seems to be a lot of good advice out there. That being said, I've tried to look for window manufacturers that are held in high regard and have found several windows but I'm still at a loss as to how to "thin the herd". I've looked at Simonton 5500 series, Gorell 3000 series, and the Earthwise Innovations series. There is also a Soft-Lite distributor in Indianapolis as well as a company called APEX Energy Solutions which offers a window called the Signature 8000 which I believe is an Alside window. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance!

HomeSealed

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows in Indiana

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The Gorell 3000 series is easily the class of that bunch. Take a look at the weatherstripping and hardware (hinges, etc), and you'll see the difference.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

I'd recommend looking for a Sunrise dealer. Their new casement is outstanding - both in appearance and performance.

apoteker

#4 Post by apoteker »

Thanks to both of you for your replies! I met with a Gorell installer today and have an appointment with the Sunrise rep next week. Both are recommending a full frame installation on the windows to avoid a loss of visible glass. I asked my Simonton rep about it and he said "A full frame replacement isn't necessarily going to get you more space. The only way it would is to not replace the frame (brickmold) and make the window stud to stud" I guess that I'll have to see the difference in the quotes. I am looking forward to seeing the Sunrise casement, it looks great on their website. Thanks again for your help.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I know you are talking casements. But to illustrate the VG gain with full frame/full tear...
you gain 1 1/2" in width and 3" in height. Additionally you get to insulate between the new window and studs, almost never done with an insert.
Insert is also a great method but you need to consider all your options and make an informed decision.

lrr

#6 Post by lrr »

I would not use any kind of insert I live In Indiana. Don't be fooled by a high price replacement window. Believe me when I tell you .That you can a good quality window installed for 300.00 to 350.00. But make sure its a real window and door co. Not some jack of all trades master of none. I have been in the window business for 29yrs thats all we do

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

lrr wrote:I would not use any kind of insert I live In Indiana. Don't be fooled by a high price replacement window. Believe me when I tell you .That you can a good quality window installed for 300.00 to 350.00. But make sure its a real window and door co. Not some jack of all trades master of none. I have been in the window business for 29yrs thats all we do
That's impressive considering that the majority of us (pros) probably pay more than that for a quality window/installation. Perhaps you are a non-profit, or operate under a federal grant of some sort?? :mrgreen: .... BTW, I am 1000% against hard-sells, and $1000 per unit vinyl replacement windows, but there is just no way to get a high quality product/install for less than $400-$500 when all is said and done.