Window Line Choices

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
DWN

Window Line Choices

#1 Post by DWN »

Hi,

I am looking for 3 windows to be replaced in on the lower level of our split level home. This is a home we recently purchased, vinyl windows, home built in 83. The other windows have been replaced recently, but not these (probably the original builders windows).

We had a bit of trouble finding a company that would replace only 3 windows; however, we have located such on Angie's list that is well rated.

They offer several different company's windows. The windows suggested were from CertainTweed, Acroline, Alside and Pro-Tech 177. For the front windows, we are considering gridded double pane, argon gas filled, low-E windows.

In the back, we would go without grids to increase the amount of light. Also, the representative suggested that we consider a triple pane version if we were concerned about security, which we are a little concerned because the window area is very easily accessible and out of public view. Essentially, he indicated that the window frame was stronger (and much more rigid) and that the glass on these types of windows are more difficult to penetrate. Also, this side faces the north, so it might also provide better insulation in the winter. We live in the DC area. The Pro-Tech fell into this particular category.

However, the installer did not indicated the specific line of window, but described them by a general internal rating (1, 2, 3, and 4). Unfortunately, this left me a bit in the dark. Can people on the board better versed in windows suggest which line of window from these manufacturers that would be better for our purposes? Also, any opinions on the suggestions by the company representative, or the brands, are appreciated.

Thanks!

DWN

Windows on Washington

Re: Window Line Choices

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

There are so many things wrong with what that salesperson said that it is tough to start.

-Triple pane glass does not improve security
-Triple pane will reduce the amount of light if you are sensitive to that fact when compared to double pane if only slightly
-Nothing about any window, replacement or otherwise, is going to be that secure against break in
-If you were ultimately concerned about security, opt for laminated glass for a more break resistant glass

As far as the window choices go, I am not a fan of any of the units listed.

I would look for something in the Soft-Lite, Sunrise, HiMark/Okna, and Gorell family.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would agree with WOW.
Let me suggest that you contact WOW, "Get A Quote" button below his name.
He can provide a holistic eval of your home energy savings potential.
Not only does he carry the best brands, which can be proven, he and his company provide the best in installation and are trustworthy and of excellent character.
WOW may not be the cheapest, but he is the best value.
As a friend of mine is fond of quoting his granddad "we are to poor to pay for it twice".

randy

#4 Post by randy »

+1 on WoW. There's not a better company in your area.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

One more plug for WoW... You would be doing yourself a disservice if you don't contact him. His posts speak for themselves as to his character and dedication to quality. :D

DWN

#6 Post by DWN »

Thank you for the advice.

I have set up for Eric to visit.