Milgard Tuscany line? (Richmond, Va)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dwolf

Milgard Tuscany line? (Richmond, Va)

#1 Post by dwolf »

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to replace the builder-grade windows in our house (1993 construction). We have a little bit of water damage, but mostly just because they bleed air like crazy. We'd be replacing 16 double-hung windows, three picture windows, and one half-oval. We've gotten estimates from two companies so far, but I'm pretty much flying blind here and am looking for reliable input.

The two companies I've already contacted have provided quotes on Milgard windows and Renewal by Andersen. The Andersen windows were way out our price range--this is our first house and we aren't going to sink that much money into a single home improvement project when we probably won't be here 5-6 years from now. Plus, from what I've seen online, it just doesn't seem worth it anyway. So, it's probably going to be a vinyl window for us.

I wasn't terribly happy with the salesman from the Milgard contractor--he didn't even show me a sample window or measure my windows--should I consider that a red flag? His quote was in the $11K range for Tuscany line windows. This seemed high to me, but again, I'm flying blind here. He also offered the Style line, but I didn't get a quote for that product. Are the Style line windows any good?

So, bottom line is that I'm looking for a mid-line window. Something that will improve the energy efficiency of my home without breaking the bank. What are the reliable, cost-effective brands in my region?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by dwolf on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwolf

Re: Milgard Tuscany line? (Richmond, Va)

#2 Post by dwolf »

BTW, I've also seen the old threads referencing Kemp Windows & Siding in my area, who is an authorized retailer for Schuco, and I've contacted them to get an estimate. Am I on the right track with Schuco? What other brands?

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Schuco has been out of business for several years and I just heard that Milgard shut down all operations east of the Rockies.

http://www.windowanddoor.com/news-item/ ... s-facility

Try Sunrise, Okna or Softlite.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Schuco has been out of business for several years and I just heard that Milgard shut down all operations east of the Rockies.

http://www.windowanddoor.com/news-item/ ... s-facility

Try Sunrise, Okna or Softlite.
Wow! That's big news (Milgard)... I guess that answers that question dwolf. I agree with Eco's advice. I like Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, and Softlite.

Pjplacido

#5 Post by Pjplacido »

Milgard has announced they will no longer sell product in your area... See posting on door and window magazine website.... There product forthe east was made in Chicago and they are closing.

I would not buy a product from anyone who will not show you a sample.

Look at Simonton windows... They were ranked #1 by JD Power and Associates for 2 years in a row.

You can go to their website www.simonton.com and go to dealer locator to find a dealer.

Also Home Depot has a division called at home services and they sell a Simonton window. Ask about the install division at their store and they will have someone Come to your home with a sample and do a free in home estimate.

Good luck

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

JD Power awards have very little application value in choosing a window.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I have a lot more faith in JD Power than I do in HD's installations--and that is not saying much :lol: .... Seriously though, they pay their installers far less than the going rate. You can draw your own conclusions as to how that will effect the quality of the installation. Apparently, they also send representatives to consumer help sites to try and drum up business with no regard for actually helping consumers. Kinda sleazy.... I will say that the Simonton window is a decent, mid-range choice imo. I would just recommend using a professional, local installation company if you go that route.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with Homesealed.
My suggestion would be to look for a better window than Simonton(though they are OK). If you are trying to have better enregy savings and more comfort then go with one of the best: Okna, Sunrise, Soft-lite.