Sash reinforcement question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mxhay

Sash reinforcement question

#1 Post by mxhay »

Glad I found this site. Has helped tremendously! I'm replacing 12 DH's , 1 slider , 2 doorwalls, and a few fixed windows. Many need tempered glass. I'm looking at Gorrell 5300 ($12000), Sunrise ($14000), Restoration $(17000), Vangard ($18000), and Softlite Elements ($20000).
How important is the sash reinforcement on double hungs? I have several large double hungs (44"x60" and 48"x64"). The regular Sunrise window does not have it but the Vangard and Restorations do as well as the Softlite. When I posed this ? to the Sunrise rep by email he responded that all of the Sunrise family of windows are warrantied for life so it doesn't matter. Kind of skated around the question in my opinion (protecting all his dealers). I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys on this board. I'm in the Detroit area and the Sunrise and Vangard installers seem like very good companies. I'm leaning toward the Sunrise as I don't know much about the company who installs the Gorrell and $3000 to $6000 extra seems a lot for the others. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sash reinforcement question

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sash reinforcements are typically called for in application where there are high heat concerns and vinyl deformation might be experiences.

A 44" wide double hung is certainly big enough that it could not hurt. If I were the salesperson on that job, I would recommend them as a precautionary measure.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I would not be concerned about re-inforcements in Detroit. I think the price difference could be put towards improving the energy efficiency of other areas of your house like adding more attic insulation and sealing air leaks. Sunrise is one of the only window manufacturers who specifically covers warping in their warranty. I just don't see the value in spending $4-$5K more to prevent something covered under warranty anyway.

mxhay

#4 Post by mxhay »

Thanks for the replies. Anyone else want to offer an opinion. Apparently it's a good question! I'm leaning towards the Sunrise. Both install co.'s (Sunrise and Vangard) are solid and recommended by a Sunrise rep. Can't figure out why Vangard guy is $4000 higher. That's about 25% more. Too much for one step up their line of windows. If Gorrell 5300 installation company was solid should I save an extra $2000 and go with that window? I thought Sunrise and Gorrell 5300 were close in quality.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison, I prefer the Sunrise, if only slightly.

In terms of the cost differential, there could be a myriad of reasons. Some companies have higher overheads because they plan on being able to service the window in the future, provide customer service, use different consumables, etc.

It is tough to compare price on price alone.