Measure for "half circle" retrofit window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
garyjr316

Measure for "half circle" retrofit window

#1 Post by garyjr316 »

Hi Guys,

I've been looking all over the place and I can't find the answer to my question anywhere. I want to replace an old aluminum cased "half circle' decrative window with a nice retrofit vinyl one. I just don't know the proper way to measure for it. Is it the same as with a normal window? Would I measure the width at the bottom (widest point) and then measure the middle (tallest point)? Any help would be great guys.

Thanks!

utoo

Re: Measure for "half circle" retrofit window

#2 Post by utoo »

If it is a true half circle my manufacturer only needs a width and total height. If not a true half circle but a curved top window you may need other measurements.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

It could also be what's called an eyebrow with a leg. If you have any doubt, take as many measurements as you can. If still unsure, I'd make a template. Tyvek works really well for this. Photographs are very helpful too.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It could also be a chord, which is a true radius but less than a half round.

utoo

#5 Post by utoo »

Not that it matters but an eyebrow is a window with No legs.

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Nope, I just installed an eyebrow with legs. A taller version is called an eyebrow with extended legs.

http://www.windowanddoor.com/article/co ... lty-window

garyjr316

#7 Post by garyjr316 »

Hi Guys,

I attached a picture of what the window looks like so that you can give me some ideas on the proper way to measure to put a retrofit window in. It would be the same style, just white and vinyl instead of an old aluminum one.

Thanks,

Gary
Attachments
decorative window above door.jpg
(151.99 KiB) Downloaded 379 times

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Standard Circle Top. Just measure height and width. The height should be 50% of the width. Even if it isn't, that's all you should need to order it. If the factory needs something else, they will call you. Worst case is to do a template as I suggested.