Extra Tall Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HuskerHomer

Extra Tall Windows

#1 Post by HuskerHomer »

I have some windows that are about 82 inches high, and am looking for double hung replacements. It looks like the Gorell 5300 will go that tall (but not the 5100), and the Simonton 5500 will also (but not the 5050 or 5300). The Soft-Lite website doesn't give any size info, nor does the Okna website. Do any of the Soft-Lite double hung windows go that tall? How about the Okna's?

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Extra Tall Windows

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Soft-lite maxes at 79". Sunrise will go up to 92.75" You will need tempered glass on the lower sash at that height to comply with code.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Some times the limitation is not the material or the equipment it is that they have not tested a unit that large an therefore can not label it according to their published specs.

HuskerHomer

#4 Post by HuskerHomer »

So does that mean Soft-Lite makes them and you can get them but without any labeling as to SHGC, U value, etc., or that they simply don't make them available.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Most companies I know of will go that height but you will need prior approval and usually tempered bottoms or both as sky said.

HuskerHomer

#6 Post by HuskerHomer »

Will they be able to give me the U-factor, SHGC, etc. numbers?

Doesn't tempering significantly increase the cost?

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yes it does but you need to check and make sure you are in compliance with code. In addition, expect to pay considerably more for windows this size because it's likely the manufacturer is going to have to install special balances.

This is going to be a huge window with very heavy sashes that will likely require 2 people to tilt it in for cleaning. Have you considered installing a transom window on top and thus reducing the overall size of the double hung? Or perhaps ordering it as an oriel window? I think doing it this way will avoid the need for tempered glass and you will be happier with the end result in the long term.

HuskerHomer

#8 Post by HuskerHomer »

Not familiar with what an oriel window is. I'll search the web but if you have a quick description that would help.

I would note that these windows are fairly narrow: about 20 inches to 35 inches.

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

A double hung has equal size sashes. An oriel is a double hung with the lower sash smaller than the upper sash. There is also a reversed oriel where the lower sash is larger than the upper sash.

Are you trying to conform to egress requirements?

HuskerHomer

#10 Post by HuskerHomer »

I currently have single hung windows, and was trying to go to double hung as the selection/choices from the manufacturers seem much greater for double hung than single hung windows.

Oriel would be fine, as the profile would be more similar to the single hung windows I currently have.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You can get some SL models as single hung and as an oriel.
We do a fair amount of these in TX.

EcoStar Remodeling

#12 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

anthony wrote:You can get some SL models as single hung and as an oriel.
We do a fair amount of these in TX.
Sunrise also makes a single hung 92.75"

HuskerHomer

#13 Post by HuskerHomer »

Anthony, what Soft-Lite models come in single-hung other than the Barrington? On their website, when I select single hung, Barrington is the only model that comes up. And do they do an 82 inch Oriel?

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Soft-lite maxes at 79". Sunrise will go up to 92.75" You will need tempered glass on the lower sash at that height to comply with code.
What code would that be ?

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Barrington is the only model that I know of. According to my book they make it max 85" and 96".