Simonton 5500 Casement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
apoteker

Simonton 5500 Casement

#1 Post by apoteker »

Well, I think I have pretty much decided on the Simonton 5500 casement window to replace my horrible Built-Best wooden casements. I think that I'm getting a pretty good price but will leave it up to the forum experts to render their decision.

ORDER DETAIL:
Replace existing 18 opening with similar style windows: 6 single casements (2 of which are fixed windows in the center of two bay windows) , 9 double casements, 3 triple casements, and 1 half round window. Simonton 5500 series with Driftwood interior and exterior. Folding Driftwood hardware. The standard glass package with ProSolar soft coat Low E glass, an Argon gas fill, the Intercept spacer system.

• Full frame replacement: 1x4 buckframe, wrapped with pvc color match coil. “Ripple” coil edge effect.
• WinTeq insulating foam
• Proper disposal of all existing windows and debris
• Clean up of job site
• Tempered obscure glass in bathroom
• Interior casing will not be touch or replaced. No need. If wanted add $40 per opening.

TOTAL INVOICE: $13, 688

I will be opting for replacing the interior casing so total will be $14408.

I guess I'm just being paranoid but are there any particular questions I should ask about the installation or should I just assume that a full frame replacement encompasses everything I need? Some have suggested I ask things like are they doing jamb liners or pushing the window forward into the home? Also, how they are doing the half round window because you need a curved frame expander on this window. I'll be honest, I don't even know what those things mean but I feel that this puts the homeowner at the mercy of the installer as far as having things done correctly. The company seems to have a good reputation on Angie's List if that is worth anything. Thanks in advance, as always! This forum and the people who post answers are truly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: Simonton 5500 Casement

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How are they planning to tie back into the water management (i.e. nailing flange, flashing, etc)?

The original casements likely used some sort of nailing flange and flashing details.

Are they going to remove the siding (if that is what is the exterior)?

tkcrph

#3 Post by tkcrph »

Thanks for the advice WoW. Did you have any thoughts on the quote? He's about $6000 less than everyone else and is standing by his price. Everyone else starts to sling mud at him when I show the quote and the Sunrise and Plygem reps both have chalked the price up to the Simonton 5500 being a "crappy window". I have to admit the seeds of doubt have been planted.

ranger

#4 Post by ranger »

It just seems like you chose the guy based on cost...because "he is the cheapest" .
Every time is see someone with a problem, it's always the guy who came in cheap. 6k is a lot of a difference. You have odds similar to Vegas choosing a contractor based on cost.

EcoStar Remodeling

#5 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Have you actually seen a sample of the Simonton Casement? I don't mean a picture or a Simonton Double-hung, I mean an actual casement window?

apoteker

#6 Post by apoteker »

ranger wrote:It just seems like you chose the guy based on cost...because "he is the cheapest" .
Every time is see someone with a problem, it's always the guy who came in cheap. 6k is a lot of a difference. You have odds similar to Vegas choosing a contractor based on cost.
I guess that I am just shocked at the disparity in pricing for windows. I assumed that the quotes would be within a couple of thousand dollars of each other but they are miles apart.

Gorell 3000 casement = $28597
Plygem Lifestyles casement = $24839
Sunrise casement = $19986
Simonton 5500 casement = $14408
Earthwise Innovations Casement = $13221

As you can see, it's tough for a consumer to make a choice based on the quotes given. The Simonton is not the cheapest but it's at least similar to another quote. The Sunrise is a nice window but should I choose it just because it's in the middle...that doesn't seem to be a valid argument either. How is one to know what is a reasonable price to pay for an installed vinyl window? The average price per window on these quotes run the gamut from $841 per window installed on the high end to $389 per window installed on the low. That's a big range. As far as I know, there is no way to get a MSRP on any of these windows. I might just be naive in my expectations of closer pricing and I know that I'm definitely frustrated. Sorry to vent and I do truly appreciate any and all help or opinions that have been offered.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

apoteker wrote:
ranger wrote:It just seems like you chose the guy based on cost...because "he is the cheapest" .
I guess that I am just shocked at the disparity in pricing for windows. I assumed that the quotes would be within a couple of thousand dollars of each other but they are miles apart.

Gorell 3000 casement = $28597
Plygem Lifestyles casement = $24839
Sunrise casement = $19986
Simonton 5500 casement = $14408
Earthwise Innovations Casement = $13221

As you can see, it's tough for a consumer to make a choice based on the quotes given. The Simonton is not the cheapest but it's at least similar to another quote. The Sunrise is a nice window but should I choose it just because it's in the middle...that doesn't seem to be a valid argument either. How is one to know what is a reasonable price to pay for an installed vinyl window? The average price per window on these quotes run the gamut from $841 per window installed on the high end to $389 per window installed on the low. That's a big range. As far as I know, there is no way to get a MSRP on any of these windows. I might just be naive in my expectations of closer pricing and I know that I'm definitely frustrated. Sorry to vent and I do truly appreciate any and all help or opinions that have been offered.
You are wrong... The "list price" on a given window is exactly the same as the msrp. Any dealer who won't give that to you should be disqualified... Secondly, in that range $841 is on the high-end for sure, but $300's is impossibly low. Like, out-of-business-next-week-type low. The Sunrise seems like a pretty reasonable choice... and btw, I primarily sell Gorell (and love the product), but that price seems a bit extreme.