Vinyl Replacement Windows in Georgia

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
moelise

Vinyl Replacement Windows in Georgia

#1 Post by moelise »

I am researching replacement of existing double hung wood windows with vinyl and am thoroughly confused. I have a local company come out this afternoon and they provided a quote on their Dixie 140 Series window, yet left the brochure for a different series window and I am not able to properly research specs on the window quoted.

I have 12 windows in total (front of house) to replace. I am interested in a good quality window and have a budget of $600 per window installed. Any recommendations?

randy

Re: Vinyl Replacement Windows in Georgia

#2 Post by randy »

The brands regularly recommended here are Sunrise, Soft-lite, Okna, and Gorell. Simonton's 5500 and 9800 are decent windows as well. I don't think Soft-lite and Okna are available in Georgia, but the others should be.

moelise

#3 Post by moelise »

What is a fair price installed and what should I look out for or specify must be included in the installation to avoid leaks? Is wrapping the exterior wood trim a good addition?

The previous owners replaced two DH windows in the basement Marvin. They have the grid that you can place/remove on the interior side of the glass and appear to be holding up well. Thoughts related to this manufacturer?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

Pricing varies from area to area, and is highly dependent on overhead, and other factors. The budget you indicated, of $600.00 per window, should enable you to get a good quality window.

If the exterior wood is in good shape, and you're willing to maintain it in good condition, leave it unwrapped. If you want to eliminate the maintenance requirements, wrap it.

Most, if not all, of the pros here are big fans of closed cell, minimal expanding foams around the perimeter of the window to seal off air and moisture migration.