home security system : wires in window frames?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Patty

home security system : wires in window frames?

#1 Post by Patty »

Our house was built 15 yrs ago. We had it wired for a security system in case we'd want to get one some day. So in each of our windows that open there is a hole in the bottom of the frame and a few inches of wire are sitting there in a knot or small bundle. They are sitting on the frame such that they get squished whenever you close the sash. I suppose if we had actually gotten a system they would then trim the wire and imbed something into the frame so it is not "in the way" of the sash and frame closing air tight.

Now that we are going to replace windows I am wondering what to do with this wire in each window? I'd like windows that are not going to be allowing lots of air infiltration yet if I have the frames drilled through to fit this wire in am I defeating the purpose of looking for "good" windows? And then the sash might not close as snug w/the wire between the sash and the lower frame? One window guy said to have the wire hang on the sill and then they put the new window frame on top of the wire. Thus the window still closes snug and the caulk along the window frame would keep any air out that tries to come in along the wire. It would look rather messy having these wires sitting around on the sill in each window. Yet it seems a waste to cover them up or cut them out during the install in case we or future owners decide to get a security system.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Guy

#2 Post by Guy »

Patty,
Do your windows have interior trim around them or do you have a drywall return? If you have interior trim (or sometimes called casing) it's easy. Just leave the wire under the window in a corner. Then when you decide to activate an alarm system all the installer has to do is remove the trim board to access the wire. Once he's finished the installation of the security bug the trim can be re-nailed in place. This is very common for them to remove trim boards to access the window frame.

If you have a drywall return without any trim it's much more difficult to do. If your getting new windows made of vinyl, you really don't want to drill any holes in the bottom. If you get a window with a weeping system built into the frame bottom you could cause it to leak with a hole. We've done a bunch where the wire is left in a hole on the side of the frame just above the spring attachment. The wire sits above the spring about two inches above the center rail. I guess they have some way of installing contacts in the side channels of the window where it's clear of the springs and any other moving part.

These are the best answers I have for you. Hope they help and good luck!!!

Patty

wires for security in window frames

#3 Post by Patty »

Thank you for your reply, Guy. I have the drywall return you mentioned. My windows are wood but they were "made cheap to compete with vinyl windows" is what I have since learned. ;-) So there is no trim around it. In fact, a window guy came today to measure and so I showed him an example of our wires and he couldn't believe they drilled through the bottom of the frame - he said water just pours down that hole (our current window frame doesn't use a weep system so it must just be slanted frame) and we probably have rot down there unless it happens to be outside of the "paper". I never thought of that. Even w/the sash down when it rains it can't be the best fit since the wire is "smashed in between the sash and frame" thus water could sneak down there. So maybe this wire is more trouble than it is worth... Thanks for letting me know where to place it if we keep them.

HomeSealed

Re: home security system : wires in window frames?

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm not sure that Patty is still waiting by her computer after 4 yrs :wink: