What is done with the security system for replacement window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
husker92

What is done with the security system for replacement window

#1 Post by husker92 »

My ground floor windows have a button imbedded in the sill that pops out when the window is opened. What is normally done with these when the window is replaced?

My security company states that I need to have a tech come out and disconnect them before the replacement and then re-connect them after the replacement. Their rates are outrageous.

Do they convert then to the small box types that slide instead of pop out? Can I do that myself and save a fortune?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Windows on Washington

Re: What is done with the security system for replacement window

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

You cannot drill into the sill of the new replacement window. Your security company can convert the system to accommodate the new insert or go to a wireless contact set up.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I think I am one of the few window companies that does the alarms. We have recently completed two house that had press and fit magnets in the sills. We dig them out of the sill cut off the switch connect a new white peel and stick. Attach it to the frame and stick the magnet on the sash. I charge $35 per window.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You could do it yourself. You have to find peel and stick magnetic switches and magnets. You will also need some chicklets.
Dig the contact out of the sill, disconnect the wires, attach the new switch to the wire, when the window guys install the window ask them to not let the window to sit on the wire( so either a notch in the bottom of the window, shims at both bottom corners, or bring the lead out the side just up from the sill), ask them to leave a small area uncaulk around the wire so that you might be able to move the wire some if needed(ask them to leave you a partial tube so you can finish the caulking when you are done), tey the magnet and switch loacations before pelling and sticking, you can do this by closing all other contact/cicuits then set the system to chirp, operate the window holding the pieces inplace, if it works then peel and stick.