Your Recommendation for Replacement Windows for Syracuse, NY

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
otis

Your Recommendation for Replacement Windows for Syracuse, NY

#1 Post by otis »

I live in the Syracuse, New York area,

I went to a number of big box home improvement centers and was overwhelmed by the number of companies that make vinyl double hung replacement windows ( for example: American Craftsman, Jeld- Wen, Andersen, WeatherStar, ThermaStar, RellaBilt, BetterBilt, Silver Line, Croft Lic, Duo Corp., Northview, Prime Line, Simonton windows, and more).

I have not yet gotten any price quotes but would sincerely appreciate any opinions you may offer regarding

(i) what window brands would you consider for your own home if you lived in Upstate New York (including any that I have not listed)?

(ii) I do not desire to purchase the best window if it is at an astronomical price. What brands are the best value (price to quality)?

(iii) Is the option for Argon gas between the panes worth the money?

(iv) Is the option for Low E protection worth the money?

(v) is the price quoted by the vendor set in stone or is there some wiggle room to negotiate the price?

(iv) Assuming I have a good and experienced installer, is there anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks.

otis.

Windows on Washington

Re: Your Recommendation for Replacement Windows for Syracuse, NY

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Gorell, Okna, Simonton, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise are the most often recommended brands from the pros.

2. Tough to say what a contractor charges. Ex. I have seen contractors charge astronomically high amounts for a crap window and fair amounts for a very good window. Totally variable and impossible to really define this number.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

5. Depends on the vendor.

6. Yes and no. Totally depends on your vetting of the contractor and familiarity with the process.

I would suggest highly that you continue your research before engaging in any quotes.