Soft-Lite vs Okna 400

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TMFE

Soft-Lite vs Okna 400

#1 Post by TMFE »

I got a quote on a Soft-Lite royal series window (similiar to barrington) from Red Carpet Remodeling and a quote on a Okna 400 window from Windows on Washington.

1) Red Carpet Remodeling in Burke Va - Soft-Lite window: For 12 windows - $5,500 and sliding door: $1,750. A total of $7,250 (Specs: U - 0.30, SHG - .29, Air infiltration - 0.07, use quad caulking and attic insulation around the windows for installation, life-time warranty including LABOR, replace all rotten wood for free).
They also have a promotion that if you purchase 10 windows you receive a free IPAD 2.

2) Windows on Washington, OKNA 400: For 12 Windows - $5,700, sliding door: $1,750. A total of $7,450 (Specs: U - 0.28, SHG - 0.27, Air infiltration - 0.05, use hig density expanding foam to insulate around window and caulking, replace rotten wood and damage seal for free). Life-time waranty including labor.

Questions:
Have you heard of Red Carpet Remodeling? Are they a good company? Are the estimates for both windows overpriced?
Which option is the better deal?

Red Carpet Remodeling indicated they would use attic insulation to put around the windows. Will the use of Attic insulation be effective to ensure air doesn't end up coming in around the window?

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Soft-Lite vs Okna 400

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd go with WoW for $200 more. If for no other reason than he will do a great job for you on the install and you will also help support this site by using him.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd HIGHLY recommend Windows on Washington. Stellar company, and better window imo.
... I have no idea what the other guys are referring to with "attic insulation" around the windows. What you want is low-expansion, closed cell foam... I know that ipad offer is tempting, but I'd really go with the better company/window. :wink:

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yep. That Ipad 2 will be old technology in a year but, the windows will be with you for a long time.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

WoW's price is excellent. I don't know anything about the quality of the other outfit's installation and reputation, but the Barrington like window is just okay and average at best. The OKNA 400 will serve you very well. You will not find a better company to deal with than Window's on Washington which gives you the peace of mind of an excellent and predictable outcome.

Attic insulation sounds to me like fiberglass which is very old school, but is still very common. Most of the Pros today prefer low-expansion foam which not only insulates better but is virtually bug and water proof. Every installer/mechanic that I've turned on to the newer Pro-gun installed low-expansion foam application that was a little reluctant to this technique now swears by it. It's also faster and safer for the installer.