Abcleads.com BBB Business Review  NAHB member
Call us at
1-800-870-7321

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: help me i am sick of looking for windows
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:26 pm 

i am replacing some windows in my house and i need to know what the better window brand is in my price range if there are others let me know

i am now looking at gerkin 6000 and 6100 single hung and sliders, vinyl lite single hungs, hayfield sliders or singles, thermo tech sliders or singles i have come to the conclusion that jeld wen most be not that good. i am getting 366 glass and grids in whatever i end up picking

these are the brands that are sold all around me in southwest mn, i hope someone can help me make my mind up.

any help would be great, thanks!

Post subject: Re: help me i am sick of looking for windows
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:33 pm 

You may be able to get Milgard, Amerimax, Anlin and Simonton. Those are pretty good brands. Sorry, I'm in the DC area so I'm really not familiar with the brands you have looked at so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 am 

I haven't personally installed them, but they Hayfield (Richlen) is highly regarded. It has some decent performance #'s and features. I've heard good reviews on the Gerkin product as well.... Maybe one of the Minnesota pros will chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:22 am 

Opps. I only saw the "Southwest". never mind.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 am 

.... I'd add that in your climate, 366 glass is likely not going to be the best choice for you. It's pretty dark and will block out too much out the passive solar heat that you want during the colder months. It is good for the southwest, no so much for southwest MN.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 am 

HomeSealed beat me to it, and I agree with him. 366 is not the appropriate low-e for Minnesota.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:58 pm 

so do i not want to upgrade and just get standard i dont know much when it comes to windows?

and thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:15 am 

The Richlin's are a nice window but tend to be expensive and use a pocket sill design. I like Gerkin and have installed Gerkin's aluminum windows and their vinyl casements but I am not familiar with their vinyl single/double hungs or sliders.Thermo-Tech( out of St.Cloud ,MN) is not that good of window. I have never seen a very good Jeld-Wen window but they do have many different offerings that I am not famliar with.Where in Mn are you? Are you installing the windows yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:13 pm 

southwest mn 20 miles west of marshall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:26 am 

Todd knows that area better than the rest of us and I would certainly defer to his advice.

As mentioned, I don't like the 3-coat low-e's (i.e. Low-e 366) for your climate region.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:00 pm 

I'm don't know what is available in the Marshall area but I'm sure your options are limited. Lowe's may be selling Ply-Gem now, some of their upper models are pretty decent. You may be limited on glass options depending what window you go with.I assume you are installing the windows yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 am 

yeah i will be installing them myself, i am kinda down to the gerkins and hayfields, the hayfields look of a little better quality and have alot better warrenty i am going to order them soon, im just stuck with which one to pick

the hayfields seem tighter, and lock tighter but have a little higher air infilteration numbers than the gerkins, thats really all i can find for differnces

most the other windows talked about on here are nice too but i am at 1800 for 6 windows and they both seem to be good brands where i am nobody ive talked to has said anything bad about them