Screens on windows and patio door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
kincaid2500

Screens on windows and patio door

#1 Post by kincaid2500 »

This may be too basic but I need some help. I don't know if my problem is normal and my installing company is kinda of blowing me off. I just got some 11 windows and patio door installed in my home. My questions is regarding the screens. I noticed that three of my window screens and the screen for the patio door have small notches or hole. Specifically, when the screen is flush with the sill, there is a small opening in the corners of the window and two are in the middle of the door. Is that normal? The hole were approximately a 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch respectively. I questioned the installer but he said that it was for water drainage. Well, than I asked why only three of my windows had the notches and the others didn't. No reply. Than he dropped one of the widows down and the hole got smaller. My concern is that the screens are to stop bugs but if there is a hole between the screen and the sill or rail, couldn't bugs get in that way. Also, I understand water drainage but I don't tend to open my windows in the rain. Thanks

HomeSealed

Re: Screens on windows and patio door

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

A picture would really help, but I can say that your installers explanation sounds feasible. Sloped sill windows will have small notches it either end of the screen to allow moisture to drain out. These are just necessary.... As for why you see it on some and not others, I can't say without seeing it.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Weep holes on the edge of the sill are quite normal for drainage.

Were the windows you were comparing the same type of operator?

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

It could be product or installer error. If the master frame sill is bowed up it could create the gap at the ends.
Some of the windows we install come with little foam plugs in each siade of the screen track, sometimes someone forgets to remove these shipping peices.