Window manufacturer recommendations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rico7684

Window manufacturer recommendations

#1 Post by Rico7684 »

I am just starting to research vinyl windows to replace 24 of them in my home. I live in Western NY where the temperature is 90+ in the summer and below zero in the winter.

Since there are numerous window manufacturers to wade through, I was wondering if anyone could offer their expertise/experience by listing the top three to five companies that would be the highest quality in the mid and upper price range. It will help me focus my research and not waste time reviewing poor quality manufacturers. I also realize from this board than the installation is just as important as well.

All windows, except one, are double hung and with the large disparity of temperatures between winter & summer, I am looking at triple pane windows.

Locally, we have two companies that manufacture their own windows, Pace Windows and Comfort Windows who have been in business a long time.

An advance thank you to all.

Windows on Washington

Re: Window manufacturer recommendations

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in Western NY are you located? I know of a solid contractor in that area that used to be on the boards that installs some top flight products.

I think you will find that the most often recommended windows are going to be Gorell, Okna, Simonton, Soft-Lite, and Sunrise.

Keep doing your research and make sure you are well versed in the terminology, facts, and performance data on windows prior to engaging vendors in quotes. Not only will the investment in time save you from a potentially poor decision, it will probably pay for itself in triplicate by being able to control the quoting process and materials decisions.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

I would add the Polaris ultra series to that list..I am not a fan of simonton but will not request it be removed from the list..lol

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Rico7684

#5 Post by Rico7684 »

Thank you WOW & Ranger for the replies and suggestions.

WOW, I am located in the Finger Lakes region near the city of Canandaigua, NY (closest larger city is Rochester, NY) and am interested in your contact that does installation.

I am familiarizing myself with the terminology & specifics regarding vinyl replacement windows and the engineering that is part of the new windows is well beyond my current 20yr old ones.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Rico,

I am sorry. The guy that I know is out of Warpinger Falls (about 4+ hours away) and could not service your home.

Keep up the research and you will get a good product for your home.

Rico7684

#7 Post by Rico7684 »

Thanks again WOW & no problem on your colleague being a ways away. I'll keep researching to be able to make the best decision possible.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

You are miles ahead of the game with that being the case. Keep it up post up any follow up questions.

Rico7684

#9 Post by Rico7684 »

There is a lot to learn. Another question I have is how much noise reduction is there with a triple pane glass with gas fill, versus a double pane air filled window I want to replace? I would like to reduce noise with the new windows.

I've read that Gorell has an Armor Glass that is supposed to reduce noise, but do Okna, Ply Gem, Softlite, or Sunrise offer an option like that?

Thanks.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

Sunrise and Soft-Lite both offer laminated glazing options but don't market this option as specially named glass package.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Most manufacturers offer it, they just dont all market it.... :wink:

Rico7684

#12 Post by Rico7684 »

You guys are very helpful and since I'm in first grade with my knowledge of windows, thank you for sharing your PHD knowledge.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

so to recap, you want to know these 4 values for the windows you consider:
U= lower the better
SHGC= each part of the country has it own best range
AI= lower the beter, below .10 is starting to get good
STC= sound transmission class

EcoStar Remodeling

#14 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

OITC rating is the rating used to classify the performance of glazing in exterior applications. This is based on ASTM E-1332 Standard Classification for the Determination of Outdoor-Indoor Transmission Class. While STC rating is based on a 'White ' noise spectrum, this standard utilizes a source noise spectrum that combines Aircraft/Rail/Truck traffic and is weighted more to lower frequencies.

randy

#15 Post by randy »

Soft-lite offers laminated glass, but it's very, very expensive. In my experience, when it comes to laminated glass, Gorell and Simonton have unbeatable pricing for the option - Gorell being the best of the two.