Sunrise Restorations - Omega 12 quote - Opinions?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Yorktown Doug

Sunrise Restorations - Omega 12 quote - Opinions?

#1 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Got a quote for 22 d/h, & 1 picture, white/white, full screen Omega 12's tonight from Melani Bros. It is always interesting when the Salesman doesn't know any of the competition in the same category, I mean because "there is no-one else in this category with us, we are it, so I can't give you any names." I don't consider Pella, nor Anderson a window in the same quality line up as Gorell, Soft-lite, Sunrise, or Okna - At least not after reading the information available here. Anyway, as the others have, he starts out waaaaay up there. Right around 23500 - a price that is good for a year. Then with a little magic we come down to 22320, and that price is good for 30 days. Apparently as the others also said, he would have to get with his Mgr to find out if they could do any better than that. Of course . . .
So this install starts out being done from the inside, and again it is all the way to the rough opening . . . well, that is until I start to ask the questions. Suddenly they actually install the windows from both the inside and the outside - he's seen them done both ways. And then of course we talk about the actual window removal - if you are going to go all the way to the rough opening, why only measure the windows to the dimensions of the existing trim? "Hhhhmmm. . . . yeah, well I know they take these metal tracks out, and then the window goes in . . . " Ok, so once again the salesman with no clue of the install process. Oh yeah, almost forgot - these windows are so awesome, they don't use ANY insulation between the window and the rough opening, no fiberglass, no foam, nothing. Just good ole vinyl frame to wood, and that's it, SWEET!!!!!! =) With the 900 taken out for the picture window (also high) the price for each d/h equals out right around $950/window.

Windows on Washington

Re: Sunrise Restorations - Omega 12 quote - Opinions?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Did you email me already? I don't know if it got caught in my spam folder.

Try it again.

Yorktown Doug

#3 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Maybe I didn't understand . . . what am I e-mailing to you again?

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

While this salesman clearly hasn't been trained properly, I'm not sure I understand what your point is. I don't expect the guy I buy my car from to be able to fix it for me or be able to give me a technical explanation of how the power train works. I expect him to be able to inform me of the different options that are available and to be able to write up the paperwork correctly. I would not expect or even want him to advise me as to what his competition sells and how they compare to his product. In fact salesmen who do try, I find very annoying.

I would expect a window salesman to know the U-factor, SHG etc and also to be able to advise me of the different options available and the proper way to configure different solar gains dependent on the geographics and landscape. I would expect him to be able to address issues like sound reduction etc. Again, this salesman might simply be new and poorly trained but it doesn't follow that the company doesn't do a good job installing windows.

I can also tell you as a Sunrise Dealer, Sunrise makes their windows in 1/8 inch incements and this company may very well measure so tight that there's no room to use insulation in the jambs. This is especially true if the openings are pretty square to begin with.

While the sales tactics are very cheezy and a throwback to the 1950's it's up to you to decide if you like the window well enough to put up with them. I'd shop around a little and compare other brands but the Restorations is a very nice window and you might decide to come back to it once you have gained a little more knowledge of the window market in your area. I wouldn't necessarily write them off completely at this point.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Are the windows intended to be a new construction flanged installation? Is siding going to be dropped or new siding installed? We have window outfits around here that will not do new construction vinyl windows, just insert installations and when the sales reps run into those scenarios they're really lost. If you obtain more estimates you're going to need to request a very experienced sales rep with a knowledge of different styles of installation techniques.

Learning the technical aspects of a window is not very hard. Understanding how to exactly describe the most appropriate installation process for each homeowners installation would take years of hands on field knowledge.

Good luck.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yorktown Doug wrote:Maybe I didn't understand . . . what am I e-mailing to you again?
I contacted my friend out of Richmond.

Yorktown Doug

#7 Post by Yorktown Doug »

My only point in mentioning the fact the salesman didn't know much about the competitors was because it came across to me as as someone who doesn't keep up with his industry. Ecostar, it is clear to me that you and I think on completely opposite ends of the spectrum (which is fine), i.e.; if my car sales person doesn't know at least as much about the car I am buying as I do, then I am talking to the wrong person. When I am getting ready to spend the kind of money I am looking at spending on windows, I do research. I research as much as I can to educate myself. However, even after researching, there will be questions I have, and my personal expectation is that the sales person can answer them. "I can't answer that because there is no other window as good as ours" isn't the answer I am looking for. I like the windows - they appeared to be very nice windows and I am not ruling them out at this point. I just do not like the "super duper sales pitch" approach, but expect when someone does use that approach, they ought to be able to answer my (mostly lay) questions. (Especially when the quote they are giving me is 5k higher than two competitors)
DM - No, not new flanged install type, they are replacements. I have asked all 3 companies thus far if I'll be able to speak with the install crew (or Lead) prior to signing for just the reason you mentioned.
WOW - thanks for checking w/your friend- I appreciate that

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I don't see how we are in much disagreement. I have purchased items from salespeople who didn't know as much as I did about them and even from a few who's sales approach I didn't particularly like. That's the whole point of doing your own reseach so you don't have to rely on poorly trained salespeople to provide you with the answers. Once you know the answers, you know what questions to ask and can make the salesperson work for you. My only point is you shouldn't let a poorly trained salesperson get in your way of purchasing anything if it's what you want.

Yorktown Doug

#9 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Fair enough and totally agree with you =)