Statewide Window Replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
smiller4

Statewide Window Replacement

#1 Post by smiller4 »

Don't know what I'm doing here but I don't know where to go for help. I bought Statewide windows w/lifetime warranty. My garden window is leaking but when I call no one will call me back and I'm not able to get a person on the phone unless I want to buy. So I tried tricking them into thinking I wanted to buy and as soon as I mentioned I need a window fixed, they just hang up on me. Is there any way in contacting Statewide (Penguin)? I'm from the Albany Oregon area and would greatly appreciate any help in getting this matter handled. I can't afford an attorney to take them to court.

jeff1995

Re: Statewide Window Replacement

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

Best to start with the BBB site of Statewide, you will not like it. Good Luck

smiller4

#3 Post by smiller4 »

jeff1995 wrote:Best to start with the BBB site of Statewide, you will not like it. Good Luck
Thank you -- as usual it's always the big guy ripping off the little guy! I will never believe in a lifetime warranty.......I feel so stupid.

I've printed off all suggestions and will see what I can do; I'm not even sure where it's leaking; when it rains hard it comes inside and leaks down the side onto the oak. I think the wind is forcing the rain through one of the seams. I had actually set up an appntmt about 8 months ago to have it fixed but nothing happened and now can't even contact them. I've heard they are using various other names since Statewide/Penguin is getting very bad reviews. Unfortunately with a full 40 hr workweek, it makes it very difficult (I'm very thankful to have a job!). I'm chalking this up as a lesson learned and will do better in doing my homework in the future! You all out there are wonderful and GOD BLESS you all!
Last edited by smiller4 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer directly?.... A lifetime warranty is as strong as the company that offers it, so that could be good or bad. ... There are plenty on options that you have prior to taking legal action: BBB complaints, trade groups, Angie's list, google reviews, internet blogs (such as this)..... Perhaps a letter drafted by an attorney (not much $$$) detailing your legal intentions, as well as all of the other things mentioned would get some attention? You could always contact your local news as well. They usually have consumers protection stories that LOVE the sink their teeth into contractors given the smallest opportunity.

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Hanging up on you twice like that is one of the sleeziest and rudest things that I've ever heard of. I'm getting mad just thinking about being in your shoes. Is the window leaking around the perimeter of the frame or the glass?

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

You might want to contact your state contractor licensing board.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to all the suggestions.

Call the manufacturer first and see how far you can get with them.

smiller4

#8 Post by smiller4 »

I will try and call PlyGem and do what I need to do - if I have to pay out money so be it as long as I can get it fixed. As I said before - thank you all so very much. Penguin windows is completely shut down in Vancouver; only thing they're doing currently is installing the rest of the windows that they sold. Info below also found:

In March 2010, Mukilteo-based Penguin reached a settlement with the WA AG office over a complaint the state's chief legal office made against it. The company agreed to several terms, the AG's office suspended a $25,000 in civil penalties as long as Penguin followed consudmer protection laws in the future. In February, Penguin Windows website says it's currently under renovation & had operations in WA, OR MA, NH, and ME. At that time, the company's website also said Penguin had been named to Remodeling Magainze's Big 50 list in 2008 in recognition of company's professionalism and integrity. On Feb 25, they filed Cahpter 11 in Seattle. WHAT!!!
Last edited by smiller4 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeff1995

#9 Post by jeff1995 »

Delaware Mike is on the correct path to start off with. Where is the window leaking? Post up a few pictures of the exterior of the window and the interior. IF it is a install issue, I do not see the manufacturer helping. Contact your state A. G. office also. When did you purchase? Good Luck again.

randy

#10 Post by randy »

I'm surprised anyone is even answering the phones. Penguin (formerly Statewide) was hammered by the Washington State Attorney General, and they are in the process of shutting the company down (according to news accounts).

As far as I know, most of their windows are manufactured by PlyGem (Great Lakes). You might try contacting them, but as far as Penguin goes, I think you're unfortunately out of luck. Their track record of service is extremely poor.

Here's an article that you might want to read. Good luck to you.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2011/jun/ ... perations/

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

smiller4 wrote:Thank you for the info. I have tried calling but could only leave message and they will not contact you unless you are looking to buy. So I tried that avenue but when I said I didn't really want to buy I just needed a window fixed, they hung up on me. The Penguin phone number is no longer in service.
It sounds like you are mistaking Statewide/Penguin for the manufacturer. PlyGem/Great Lakes was making their windows as randy mentioned, so try contacting them by email and/or phone. Their website probably has a dealer function that will get you in contact with another local dealer. That company could probably then assess the cause and advise on the proper solution. There may be cost involved, but the problem needs to be fixed one way or another. At least any parts needed will be covered by the manufacturer's warranty if that is the issue.

isolatae

#12 Post by isolatae »

Statewide Inc /DBA Penguin Windows has ceased operations and is out of business.