Double Hung Gorell with half screen

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JaxSAH

Double Hung Gorell with half screen

#1 Post by JaxSAH »

The windows I ordered yesterday are Gorell 5305. They come with a half screen that can be raised to cover the upper window or lowered to cover the lower window.

Can you think of any foreseeable problems that might cause me to reconsider the screen to go to a full screen (if it is available). I do not know the price difference. Since I I have never had double hung windows, I do not know what would be good or not with them.

ranger

Re: Double Hung Gorell with half screen

#2 Post by ranger »

A half screen is what most opt for because it's operable. A full screen is not. The gorell was a great choice.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1... Most customers go with the standard half screen. It gives you the flexibility of using either sash, with the convenience of offering a crystal clear view through the other. The only reason for a full screen would be if you want to have both sashes partially open at once, or if you have a custom color/painted exterior.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you want to ever vent from the top you will need a full screen.
The half screen slid all the way up does not provide a seal at the CMR that would keep out insects.

JaxSAH

#5 Post by JaxSAH »

anthony wrote:If you want to ever vent from the top you will need a full screen.
The half screen slid all the way up does not provide a seal at the CMR that would keep out insects.
I wonder why this window would even offer the ventilation from the top if the screen won't keep the bugs out. I liked that feature as my son likes to have his window open in the cooler weather at night. I thought that feature would allow me to have more security with the windows open at night.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

If the top sash is slightly down in a vented position and the screen is positioned to the top of the screen track I believe that most of the inside of the bottom of screen would be meeting the area of the outside the top sash where the glass is and that would be recessed a little with design of the vinyl sash, thus bugs could get it. If the top sash was all of the way up and then the screen was up there would be more contact. This wouldn't help for venting just for those folks that raise screens in the winter.

Full screens are nice but sometimes hard for homeowners to remove for cleaning.

JaxSAH

#7 Post by JaxSAH »

Thank you for all of your replies. I will stay with the half screen. I hope the top venting feature will be OK. Otherwise, I'll just use it on the windows that face out to the screened-in porch.

Florida is too buggy to have the windows open without screens in place.
:)