How does this quote sound?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Yorktown Doug

How does this quote sound?

#1 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Received a quote tonight for two different windows. Window 1 is the Gorell 5300 with the following options:
Energy Master III glass package ($65.00 per window)
double locks (included)
SS "Coastal hardware" (included)
full screens ($7.00 per window)
Head expanders (included)
Internal colonial grids (included)
I have 23 windows. 22 of them are d/h, 1 is a picture window. I was quoted a total price of 21492 and this was after a 2200 discount had been applied to the original quote of 23692.
From what I have been reading, this seems somewhat high to me, especially after they told me the price for labor was 100 a window. There are 20 of these windows that are 1002 a piece installed. Subtract the 100 labor leaves 902, minus the 72 (glass and screen upgrades) leaves 830 each per window base cost. As I am sitting here trying to work these numbers I realize the numbers don't even work correctly. I should have added them myself prior to the sales guy leaving.
This same price has been quoted for Softlite Pro's w/comparable options. I was also told the installation had a lifetime warranty, and it would be included in the contract language. What do you think of this quote?
Thanks for any opinions-

Windows on Washington

Re: How does this quote sound?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am personally not a fan of sales models that would allow for such a substantial discount. Doesn't seem very transparent to me.

Yorktown Doug

#3 Post by Yorktown Doug »

How does the 830 base window price sound to you? Does that seem like standard pricing for the 5300?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:I am personally not a fan of sales models that would allow for such a substantial discount. Doesn't seem very transparent to me.
+1... Solid product, but I'd move on based on the tactics used to this point. Price is dependent on further disclosure of options, install circumstances, etc. If a pretty basic install with white windows, I'd say that its on the higher end (not outrageous)... if otoh, it is woodgrain and a painted exterior, it is a very competitive price considering that it already had triple pane and grids.

Yorktown Doug

#5 Post by Yorktown Doug »

What I was told about the installation was this - the entire original window would be removed down to the original rough opening, the windows would be manufactured to within a 1/4" to 1/8" tolerance all around (they started with 1/4 and when I inquired on 1/8 they semi agreed), they would use fiberglass insulation all the way around, because "foam just continues expanding and could put pressure on the window" (at this point I was becoming skeptical) and wrap everything outside the window, however I have 5/4" solid vinyl board that wraps around each of my windows and I would not want it wrapped in aluminum. Also, neither the sales guy, nor the distributor have their own installation crew, they have a couple different crews they sub out to who are 75-150 miles away from where I am located. That was probably the largest red-flag for me. Well next to the fact that they weren't sure what the acronym SHGC stood for (until they read it at the bottom of the literature), nor did they know (or have with them) the air infiltration rates for the 5300. Lastly, I think the sales guy made a huge goof . . . he quoted me a 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 casement picture casement for 900, to take the place of a dh/dh/dh @3006. Oops . . . I told him he had very possibly sold that part of the deal.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

So they are proposing a full tear out?

Are your existing windows wood, vinyl, or other?

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Why don't you get competitive quotes on other brands of windows from different companies and see what they have to say? I wouldn't feel comfortable with this dealers lack of knowledge.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Why don't you get competitive quotes on other brands of windows from different companies and see what they have to say? I wouldn't feel comfortable with this dealers lack of knowledge.
I strongly agree.... being a full tear-out can jack up the price substantially, but by your descriptions, the company sounds pretty suspect.

Yorktown Doug

#9 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Existing windows are wood. And apparently they are proposing a full tear-out. I asked them specifically if they tear out the old window all the way down to the rough opening and they said yes. I asked if they shimmed the windows in from there, and again they said yes.
I do have an appointment with an Okna rep this coming Monday, and may consider speaking to Sunrise also. The information I have read with regards to the Gorell windows really has me leaning in that direction, but with the quote/information I received last night I don't think I'd like to get the windows form this group.
Oh yeah, the reasoning behind the 2200 discount was due to the fact that I require more than 20 windows, and actually it probably should have been 2300 because they initially had the number of windows in my house written down incorrectly on the quote.
Today the sales guy is supposed to go back to "his guy" and find out what he can do with the pricing . . . apparently he is the next guy up the ladder or whatever.
How do I go about finding an alternative Gorell dealer in my area?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't think your salesperson knows what they are talking about.

I would wait to get some other quotes but it sounds like you are doing that already.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:I don't think your salesperson knows what they are talking about.

I would wait to get some other quotes but it sounds like you are doing that already.
+1.... You can utilize Gorell zip code based dealer function on their website. They may or may not have someone else in the area that offers that product... That being said, Okna and Sunrise are two excellent choices as well. It will be a good opportunity to take a first-hand look at three top quality windows and see which you like best-- and which installation company you like best... You've already seen the Gorell, you may as well see the other two before deciding if you want to search out another dealer imo.

Yorktown Doug

#12 Post by Yorktown Doug »

I did in fact use the Gorell zip code locator, but thank you for the idea. I will call Sunrise and set an appointment with them as well. Thanks to each of you for your opinions and knowledge with this subject. I am extremely glad I found this website . . . !!!!!

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Is there some reason they are recommending a full frame tear-out as opposed to an insert replacement?

Yorktown Doug

#14 Post by Yorktown Doug »

Honestly, I think that was because they weren't exactly sure what the correct answer was. I just don't think they knew for sure and decided to go with a complete removal as the answer. I could be wrong, and very possibly they do in fact remove the entire window, but if that were the case, why would they measure my windows from the edges of the trim, and from the top trim edge to the sill? Just doesn't seem to add up to me. This is honestly the portion of the process that has me the most "on edge." I truly feel as though I can find a window with the quality and performance I am looking for after reading through this site, however, what I cannot guarantee is a good installation. Don't get me wrong, I am asking to get everything in writing, but even with the way things are written today, that can be tricky. The last thing I want to do (like most others) is drop a serious wad of $$$ on really nice windows, only to have a 1 year install warranty (or something equivalent) and find out at the 2-2.5 year mark that something with the install is less than desirable.

EcoStar Remodeling

#15 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

It sounds to me as if they are just doing an insert. Do yourself a favor and get at least 2 more estimates. Might try a Google search in your area for Sunrise, Softlite and Okna and then check out the contractors on Angies List before contacting them.