Comment / reviews on replacement windows in Buffalo, NY?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
KenG10

Comment / reviews on replacement windows in Buffalo, NY?

#1 Post by KenG10 »

My wife and I are planning on replacing

7x: 25"h x 45"w (slider)
1x: 4' h x 45"w (double hung)
Large 4' h x 12' wide section (possibly 2x DH and one picture)

About 11 windows if you want to count the large section as 3.

First, is there anyone in the Western New York region that can recommend a good company? So far, Window Depot has come out and gave us an estimate of approx $7400 for all of them. Pace Windows has us around $9,000 for everything. I have a local contractor Grand Island Home Builders coming out tonight. And DeGeorge Windows is coming out next week.

From what Pace has said, it is very tough to say no to these windows. They seem like high grade top of the line windows. (Overkill maybe? lol) The MI Corp. windows that Window Depot will use do not seem as good when I look at nfrc.org.

Any Buffalonians out there???

Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Comment / reviews on replacement windows in Buffalo, NY?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are the performance numbers on the windows up for consideration so far. In Buffalo, I would be looking for a good Triple pane window with great air infiltration numbers.

Post those up on the windows that you have looked at so far and I can give you my 2 cents on what looks like a good deal.

KenG10

#3 Post by KenG10 »

Well, here are the specs on Pace double hung windows. I would be getting 3 double hungs (one oh the models listed, Im not sure):

One of these large 6x4picture windows (not sure which model):

And seven 25" h x 45" w horizontal sliders all throughout the house (not sure which one of these):

Installed for around $9,000. Built just down the highway from us, not in some factory in Texas, lol. I'm willing to pay a premium on windows, as we plan to be here a long time plus the LARGE 12' x 4' section faces WEST and that is bad in our brutal buffalo winters. What do you think of those windows?

The Window Depot Windows are made by Metallic Industries or MI Windows and Doors. Honestly, I started searching NFRC and havent found a single window below .31 made by them. The guy said they would qualify for the tax rebate. *stumped*

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pretty good performance numbers there. I would probably opt for something in a triple pane up there in Buffalo. There are not many harsher climates in the US for snow and cold.

9K is a pretty steep price for 9 openings/11 windows. That is over $800 a hole and none of those openings are really that big. That price per window would by you triple pane in this market and I tend to think that we are usually more expensive down here than up there.

In the dead of winter, you will appreciate a window that has a U-Factor in the teens.

KenG10

#5 Post by KenG10 »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the little 25"x45" sliders were quoted $800 per. When he found out that they would be removing steel windows, it went up to 850 per. Darn steel windows. I thought that was high. Though, I just had a guy come out and quote me all Pella's and the same 25" window was over $1000! And the 12' x 4' section was $5,000?! What the heck? That makes these Pace ones much more attractive. Lets see what this other company (DeGeorge Windows) has to say.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are they steel windows or steel pan windows? The latter has an entire steel sill and inside stool made of metal.

If they are steel pan, that quote is not nearly as bad as I thought because there is quite a bit of work in that.

KenG10

#7 Post by KenG10 »

Yeah, there are seven single-pane steel slider windows. There is wood all around, you can clearly see steel framing all the way around the window. I'll take some pictures later on tonight and see if I can get them up here.

Even so, the sliders were $800 installed. Once he found out about the steel, it went up 50 bucks per window. Is the 800 itself high? Another thing about those Pace windows: They have produced these sub .3 windows well over 20 years. They arent scrambling around trying to make their windows meet the requirements. They aren't center of window measurements, the numbers are obtained from a full install. The guy had A LOT of great things to say about their windows.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Pics would help a good bit. A steel pan window effectively has no wood around it as the entire inside portion of the window (sill, etc) is also steel. They are typically seen in 1950's and early 1960's homes.

KenG10

#9 Post by KenG10 »

Here are my awesome metal windows! With bonus panoramic shot of the living room 12' x 4' section!

First off, there are 7 of these throughout the house:

And finally, the living room with the large 12' x 4' section + side window.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Those are not steel pans. Nothing really difficult about that removal. I will stick to my previous opinions on pricing.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That looks like a Levitown house. The aluminum windows are set into a 2x6 rabbited frame.
A common change in the 12' unit is to remove the horizontals and install 3 DHs, or rip it all out and install a large bow window.

KenG10

#12 Post by KenG10 »

anthony wrote:That looks like a Levitown house. The aluminum windows are set into a 2x6 rabbited frame.
A common change in the 12' unit is to remove the horizontals and install 3 DHs, or rip it all out and install a large bow window.
Yup, that is exactly what people have done on this street. 3 DH or a Bow / Bay. You know, I thought they felt lighter than steel! So they're aluminum eh?

WoW, your previous opinion is that the 800 installed for each slider seems a bit up there? Now that you know these are not steel?

My wife and I are going to the Buffalo Home show today. Maybe we can find some deals there.
Last edited by KenG10 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

advanced_energy

#13 Post by advanced_energy »

alluminum... easier to do 3 separate windows(replacements) or one unit mulled together?

buddy110

#14 Post by buddy110 »

KenG10 wrote:
anthony wrote:That looks like a Levitown house. The aluminum windows are set into a 2x6 rabbited frame.
Yup, that is exactly what people have done on this street. 3 DH or a Bow / Bay. You know, I thought they felt lighter than steel! So they're aluminum eh?

WoW, your previous opinion is that the 800 installed for each slider seems a bit up there? Now that you know these are not steel?

My wife and I are going to the Buffalo Home show today. Maybe we can find some deals there.
I don't think 800 per opening is to bad but like WoW said you should be able to get TP about the same. In your climate you need it. Were the Pella's you looked at vinyl?

KenG10

#15 Post by KenG10 »

I keep seeing conflicting reports on TP. Companies are saying that it is overkill and just a a gimmick. Mostly due to the Krypton gas that is needed because there is less space for the gas. You guys really recommend the triple pane huh?

I didnt see any Pellas, I just saw the prices and knew immediately that we couldn't go with those.