My next project

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HankinMaine

My next project

#1 Post by HankinMaine »

I just had Home Depot replace 18 windows in my 43 year old house and now I'm thinking I have to replace some casement windows which were installed about 23 years ago. I replaced the older windows 1st but these are in pretty bad shape too. My wife also HATES casement windows and I love the new sliders we had installed on the lower level :D

These are Eagle brand windows and I first noticed a problem last winter when condensation appeared between the two panes on one window. We also have 4 girls living in this house so condensation is always an issue no matter how powerful my bathroom fans are :lol: Since my father never treated the interior wood all that condensation (and ice melt) has rotted the bottom of sash. (picture attached). So now I've gone from repair / re-gas windows to let's replace the windows.

The windows are big, each pane measures approx 27wx56h and the sales person from HD told me replacing the 4 pairs with sliders would run around 4,000 total.

So, any advice on who I should contact in Southern Maine and what brand / model I should go with. I'm pretty happy with the Simonton 6500's and I'd like to match the style. I'm not unhappy with HD but if a local pro can do better I'd be happy to give them a shot.

Also, any advice on sliders vs. other options? I do not want DH because I just got sliders installed on lower level right under these windows.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
casementrot.JPG
Rotting casement
(87.85 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

TheWindowNerd

Re: My next project

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sliders or casements will be the best to maintain the appearance.