Replacements

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JaniceAnn

Replacements

#1 Post by JaniceAnn »

Looking to replace windows - a little confused.

Is a single hung window better than a double hung. The double hung windows are really nice for cleaning.

Is the HiMark window a good choice, is this window made by Okna?

Can anyone tell me anything about Vista windows.

We are located mid-way between Erie, Pa and Cleveland, OH

Thank you!
Last edited by JaniceAnn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

Re: Replacements

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

HiMark is one of the very best choices one can make in vinyl, and yes they are OKNA. I've been with Vista since 06, but rarely sell them as their best line (Panorama) is still a budget window. I'd rank the Vista products better than the stuff that comes out of the box stores and more comparable to Simonton. It would be somewhere between the 5050 and the 5500 series from Simonton. The Simonton 5500 optioned correctly or the 9800 would be a step up, but would cost more.

The only folks that ever request single hung windows usually are looking to save money on a rental in my experience. Some of the local farmers in my area liked them as the migrant workers would pull both operable sashes out for ventilation and parties, and then the pivot bars or balances would get broken. I'm not making this up. Production home builders around here like them because they can save a few bucks also.

JaniceAnn

#3 Post by JaniceAnn »

Thank you, this was very helpful. In my small town, we have Pella thru Lowes, Andersen thru Home Depot, and Vista thru a local dealer. Not seeing very positive reviews for vinyl replacements with Pella or Andersen.
Last edited by JaniceAnn on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Some of better manufacturers of vinyl have dealer locator options on their websites. If they don't, you can call the manufacturer directly and the operator should be able to put you in touch with the regional sales rep. He or she can than figure out who might service your area. The brands that I've personally had great success and know to be of the highest quality would be Soft-Lite, Sunrise, and OKNA/HiMark. I think that the Simonton 9800 is also a good window.

I can't speak for any of the other pro's on this site, but personally we travel for installs in about a 60 to 90 mile radius depending upon the size of the job. So if you're just looking in a smaller directory and nothing is really coming up under the window section, you may have to expand your search. It's nice to deal local, I get that with pertaining to warranty and references. I'm sure that some of the brands that I mentioned above would be available to you as all of their manufacturing facilities are less than 4-hours from your house.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

both the andersen vinyl by home depot and pella vinyl by lowes are low quality and i doubt you would want them in your home. Vista "panarama" is a mid grade that is on par with simonton.
the HiMark by Okna is an elite window and one of the best designed in the industry.

JaniceAnn

#6 Post by JaniceAnn »

Can anyone tell me about Seaway Vinyl Windows, manufactured in Erie, Pa.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with all of the comments by the other pros. I don't have any experience with Seaway, but from what I've seen and heard it appears to be in that "mid-range" with Simonton, Vista, Plygem and others.

Delaware Mike

#8 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've heard pretty much the same as HomeSealed regarding Seaway. I don't know of anyone in my experience that carries them around my parts.

JaniceAnn

#9 Post by JaniceAnn »

Thanks guys! Read another post from Akron, OH. The same dealer that sells Seaway also sells Polaris. Read good reviews about the Ultra.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Polaris just redesigned the Ultra. its a solid window. order with a true stainless spacer, meeting rail reinforcement, and foam filled frame.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

masterext wrote:Polaris just redesigned the Ultra. its a solid window. order with a true stainless spacer, meeting rail reinforcement, and foam filled frame.
I will have to get with Dave. That was a solid window before. I would like to see it now.

JaniceAnn

#12 Post by JaniceAnn »

The Polaris Ultras are ordered along with top prarie grids. Windows are manufactured in Ohio. Warranty will cover defective windows and local dealer provides labor free of charge. I feel good about this purchase! This forum was so helpful, thanks again!! :D

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

The Ultra is a good choice! Congrats. :D

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:The Ultra is a good choice! Congrats. :D
+1

Great choice. :D