Plygem Premium vs. SoftLite Imperial LS vs. Simonton 6500 HD

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
hootie

Plygem Premium vs. SoftLite Imperial LS vs. Simonton 6500 HD

#1 Post by hootie »

After reviewing multiple forums, I am asking for the opinions of eveyrone else still reading. (That means you WoW, anthony Skydawggy and all the others)! As mentioned in other threads, I am replacing 13 windows in my home in Kansas. Most of the windows face intense sun, and I have to block most of the heat because I have a son with special needs and I had to convert a first floor office into a bedroom. The bedroom above also faces the west and takes a beating. 3 other windows are for an area that my son spends alot of time in his wheelchair looking out the windows (with hardwoods). I am considering the Softlite Imperial LS double pane versus the Plygem Premium triple pane Argon with HD Max glass. I also had a visit from Home Depot with the Simonton 6500 version, who also offered triple pane with argon. I will temper several windows for safety, and I am not concerned with that expense for the safety of my children. But I would like some input from anyone on the windows themselves. I have reliable vendors so I am not concerned about the installation process, (all have excellent references that I have investigated myself). I also had a local company come in that sells an exclusive version of the Great Lakes triple pane krypton uniframe window. A fantastic window, but still uses block and tackle and I can only afford 9 of those windows. I have to move in 4 years to be closer to my sons special elementary school, so money spent will only be short term investing. But to have him be able to get close to the windows to look outside and stay comfortable will be priceless. Thanks in advance.

HomeSealed

Re: Plygem Premium vs. SoftLite Imperial LS vs. Simonton 6500 HD

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

I am confused about your comment, " but still uses block and tackle "... The fact that Great Lakes and others only put that system in their highest-end products should be rather telling.. Personally, I find B&T and Constant force to be a "horse-a-piece" on both durability and operation, but the b&t systems are actually more costly, and have testing that reflect a longer duty cycle.... As for the products in question, I'd rank the windows: LS, Plygem, then Simonton from HD, but they are all fairly solid. The fact that you can get a Plygem premium with triple pane for the same as a Softlite double pane kind of equalizes those two imo. The Softlite has an advantage in the structural ratings to be sure, but I have my issues with that company in general... You probably can't go wrong with either choice, with the Simonton being a close third, only because it is the HD variety... When looking at Plygem, look for the stainless spacer. That could change the pricing.

hootie

#3 Post by hootie »

How can I make sure I get the stainless in the plygem. Just spoke with the vendor 10 minutes ago and he said I was being quoted the Warm Edge+ which comes with the HPmax and energy package. I just also discovered that PlyGem is not AAMA certified on the website. Can I find it under another produst name?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm not sure on the Plygem glass package labels as I have not sold them in volume for a few years now, but I'd simply ask for the stainless spacer... On the AAMA certifications, they do meet AAMA Gold label standards through a third party testing company-- NAMI.

hootie

#5 Post by hootie »

Thanks for your assistance

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing wrong with B&T balances as previously stated.

I prefer the Imperial LS out of that bunch for the most part, however, the fact that you are comparing double to triple pane packages somewhat muddies the water from an analysis standpoint.

Which window did you like the best?

Ditch the HD 6500 and get the Simonton quoted by a local vendor if you want to go that route.

coldweatherwindows

#7 Post by coldweatherwindows »

The warm edge + Spacer is the stainless alloy steel spacer from PlyGem. Great product both structurally and thermally.

hootie

#8 Post by hootie »

I have decided to go with the Imperial LS with full screens. The Softlite rep here in KC is very personable and understands our needs. Overall, the LS just seems more solid and worth the extra money, even though I won't be here in this house for more than 5 years. The dealer understood my concerns with tempering and glazing so that my son can be safe in his wheelchair and look out from our kitchen, his bedroom or our great room. I opted for the triple krytpon on all of the west and 2nd floor south facing windows, everything else will be double argon. All of the windows will have the Super Spacer and Solarban 70XL. I felt much better being able to chose different windows and still have solid ratings on all of them. I am also putting in 2 casements in the kitchen. I am sure I will be very happy.Thermoregulation for my son and safety were the most important and you can't put a price on that. This forum has been incredibly helpful. Thanks to all who responded to my posts. I will be sure to submit a follow-up after they're installed.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Solid window and good choice.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

+1, Good choice. Be sure to post your thoughts after they've been installed. :)