In NJ, Needs opinions on Vinyl Replacement, Gorrel, Polaris?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JLY

In NJ, Needs opinions on Vinyl Replacement, Gorrel, Polaris?

#1 Post by JLY »

Hi,

I've started to do research on vinyl replacement double hung windows and so far a few companies that I've seen have shown me Polaris (Unishield from Universal Windows Direct), Gorrel and United Windows & Door Manufactering.

I'm replacing old single pane wood windows with vinyl double hung windows and I'd like some opinions which company and model would be better.

On a side note, my in laws property needs a few windows that need to be dark brown according to the association, I heard if I went with Vinyl the dark brown would fade (at least in the past this seemed to have happened), I'm not sure if is still a problem with vinyl windows these days though.

Thanks!

Windows on Washington

Re: In NJ, Needs opinions on Vinyl Replacement, Gorrel, Polaris?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fading is no longer a problem with the co-laminate and painted finishes.

What model windows are you comparing?

JLY

#3 Post by JLY »

Great, that solves one issue.

For Gorrel I was thinking about the 5100 Series w/ Armor Glass Plus
http://www.gorell.com/pages/5100_double_hung.htm

For Polaris, the ThermalWeld 7000 Series
http://www.polaristechnologies.com/prod ... index.html

For United, the 4800 Series
http://www.unitedwindowmfg.com/4800seri ... ement.html

All would have the grid internally.

These seem to be mid tier products for each of the companies which I think would be okay for NJ.

Thanks,

James

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

I don't know the United window very well but the 5100 and ThermalWeld are both pretty solid windows.

I might also Google Okna, Sunrise, and Soft-Lite in your area.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Read up on Universal Windows Direct.

They have a bit of a history. If you like the Polaris, see if you can get it somewhere else.

JLY

#6 Post by JLY »

Thanks Windows on Washington, I'll do some research on Okna Sunrise and Soft-Lite

JLY

#7 Post by JLY »

So I checked out the Okna windows and I must say I'm impressesed. I had a dealer quote me $600 each (14 windows total) for a Starmark DH w/ internal grids (capping included). I'm getting this price because I'm doing siding as well.

I think I got a pretty reasonable deal. He also said if I went with the one lower than the starmark, it'll be $100 cheaper and the same U-Value as the Starmark's which were .24

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

JLY wrote:So I checked out the Okna windows and I must say I'm impressesed. I had a dealer quote me $600 each (14 windows total) for a Starmark DH w/ internal grids (capping included). I'm getting this price because I'm doing siding as well.

I think I got a pretty reasonable deal. He also said if I went with the one lower than the starmark, it'll be $100 cheaper and the same U-Value as the Starmark's which were .24
Wow! That sounds like an amazing deal... Starmark is a very high end product, and that is a very nice price. I'd jump all over that!

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree that is a great deal.
So is the 800 at @ $500.
Both will do a suburb job for you.

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

Polaris make a good window but you need to look at the Polaris ultra series; a very solid window. I would avoid universal direct.

JLY

#11 Post by JLY »

@ Ranger - Thanks, will take a look at the ultra, and comment about universal direct. It's hard to get information on companies sometimes.

@ anthony - I'm glad you guys give such a wealth of information. I can't imagine if there was no internet

@ Homesealed - Definitely! I liked the feel of the window, very sturdy and thick.

ranger

#12 Post by ranger »

Polaris Ultra windows have a 20 year warranty on exterior paint. That's one of the best warranties I've seen for exterior color..
On a side note, United is not considered high quality and is not in the same league as Polaris or Okna.

franccini

#13 Post by franccini »

JLY wrote:So I checked out the Okna windows and I must say I'm impressesed. I had a dealer quote me $600 each (14 windows total) for a Starmark DH w/ internal grids (capping included). I'm getting this price because I'm doing siding as well.
did you get your windows installed, and how do you like the contractor for the installation?
I'm also looking for vinyl replacement windows, and narrowed down to Okna. would like to get a quote from the company you used if you recommend them.

thanks

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

francini, in case jly does not post back, there are two board pros that serve different parts of NJ and have access to that product. Either anthony or masterext should cover your area and either would do a great job for you. :D

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#15 Post by masterext »

the okna would be a very good choice. very nice design and a solid extrusion. ive installed many and never had a complaint.