replacement windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Suez

replacement windows

#1 Post by Suez »

I am looking to replace 18 DH windows, picture window and a sliding glass door in NC.
I have looked at Marvin infinity, Pella 350, Simonton 5500, Ply-gem 1650, Softlite pro series and Mi designer collection. These are the only ones I can find around here.
The more I read the more confused I get. Can anyone put these brands in perspective regarding quality.
I know quality has a lot to do with installation however I also want a good long lasting window.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: replacement windows

#2 Post by masterext »

performance wise, the soft lite is the winner..that being said, the infinity is nice, although expensive and the simonton 5500 is a very solid mid grade product. i am not fond of the others based on what i consider poor designs..by the way, the MI is the 1650, not plygem.
i would ask the soft lte dealer to show you the imperial LS if he offers it..the pro is pretty solid though.
other brands im your area would be sunrise and gorell.

Suez

#3 Post by Suez »

My mistake: Ply gem was premium series.

I called the sunrise rep that the company gave me and he has never returned my call.
The bad thing about softlite is they are only sold through a distribution center and pro series is the best they sell. I've read about the imperial and it was impressive however can't find anyone selling them.
Have not found anyone with gorell nor have I read anything.

So are you saying the Mi nor the Ply gem are worth considering?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

MI is complete garbage,very low grade in my opinion.. plygem premium is ok but not up there with soft lite. did tou call sunrise and ask for a dealer in your are?
also, soft lte should have a dealer, if not ,gorell definitely does.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Mi is a lower tier product. Plygem premium is mid-range. The Softlite Pro, while not as good as the LS, is a pretty nice window.

Suez

#6 Post by Suez »

I agree that the LS is better than the pro however can't find anyone that sells them around me. Trying to see if Gorell is sold around here. Put in an inquiry with them and waiting. Is it the Gorell 5300 that you say is the best?

Suez

#7 Post by Suez »

Just called Sunrise and they don't have anyone installing in my city so they are out for me. Seems like all the good ones are not present in my city in NC.

Suez

#8 Post by Suez »

okay..I found out that Soft lite has just acquired Gorell. Talked to a local person that sells the imperial LS but then wanted to sell me a Dove brand. Have you ever heard of them? They did not know if they had a sample LS to look at.
Seems to be some disadvantages of living in a smaller city. I don't have money to waste on crappy windows!!

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

The last time that I saw a Dove product it was pretty low-grade. I can't imagine that it would compare well to the LS. We have a dealer in Delaware that utilizes the Dove line when everything else fails with their better windows (Sunrise & OKNA). Dove's claim to fame has been that they can offer dealers the least expensive window that they can get their hands on, which is not a good sign for potential homeowners.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

If you have a Gorell dealer, you might wait a few weeks. There are some improvements coming up that should take it from a good to great window. Super spacer, added weatherstripping, etc promise to bring it into the top tier in performance ratings. The 5300 is their top offering... The only thing that still will be a downside is that it is a bit bulky compared to some others.

Suez

#11 Post by Suez »

Should I wait for the Gorell over the soft lite LS? I do like the soft lite sliding glass door though. I was not a big fan of the Gorrel website. I only wish I could find somewhere that puts the top ones next to each other for a comparison.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

OVER the LS, not necessarily. The upgrades should put it in the same ballpark though. You can expect some major updates/improvements from Gorell on all fronts now that they are owned by Softlite.
That said, if you find a good deal on the LS, I would not hesitate to pull the trigger as it is a well established, top performer.

Suez

#13 Post by Suez »

Okay, so the only one I could find for Gorell was a company called Ultimate Gutter Guard and they say Gorell makes a 5200 for them. Have you heard of a 5200. I am sticker shocked. 18 DH, 1 picture window and 1 sliding glass doors. No grids..
$19,800.00. I realize $2000 of that is a sliding glass door however $889.00 a window. What do you guys think. Am I wrong to think this is high? Please help me..

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

Number one, the 5200 is being completely discontinued, so i would avoid it. Number two, that price IS very high unless there are some extraordinary circumstances that have not been disclosed. If it has triple pane with krypton, a painted exterior, woodgrain interior, full frame removal, etc then that stratosphere would be justified.

Suez

#15 Post by Suez »

No, none of that is included. Only Eco glass in double pane. Exterior install with wrap. Our home is very well maintained besides our 20 yr old Malta windows are worn out. I was flabergasted. He expected us to sign a contract at the time however we did not. I mean it looks like a great window but not for that price. What would you think a fair estimate would be? Approximate? just trying to get your perspective!