Comparing Windows: Simonton and Gorell

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
JamesTown

Comparing Windows: Simonton and Gorell

#1 Post by JamesTown »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to compare between these two windows but I first need to find out which models are matched against each other. I've heard that these two brands are pretty evenly matched but need to find out which models are considered the "Good, Better and Best" for each brand.

I guess each brand sells models that compete against each other, so tell me if this is right:

Gorell 5050 vs Simonton Expressions 5050
and..
Gorell 5100 vs Simonton Expressions 5500?

What Simonton model is comparable to Gorell's 5300? Also, I read somewhere, on the internet about 5000 series by Gorell, but can't find any information about it. Can someone please give me a detailed break down about each of these brands and their competing models, please? i would greatly appreciate that!

Thanks in advance!

ranger

Re: Comparing Windows: Simonton and Gorell

#2 Post by ranger »

Gorell is a better window especially the 5300..although the 5100 with fiberglass reinforcement and a foam filled frame is one heck of a window as well.

JamesTown

#3 Post by JamesTown »

Hi ranger thanks for your reply.

Are my comparisons pretty accurate? From everything I read is a better brand but that aside is the Gorell 5100 meant to compete against the Simonton 5500? The same for my other comparison. Is that correct? Does Simonton have a window comparable to Gorell's 5300?

Also, where can I read the performance values for Simonton?

Thanks!

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

The Gorell 5050 is a single-hung window ,all the others are double hung.I would compare how the models match up price wise instead of trying to compare how they match-up with in the companies own product line.The 9800 would be Simonton's top window.I am not familiar with Gorell single hung, but I have not seen a single-hung I have liked yet. I would also skip the Simonton 5050 depending on price of course. Have you takne the time to look at any of these windows in person yet or had any bids?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

JamesTown wrote:Hi ranger thanks for your reply.

Are my comparisons pretty accurate? From everything I read is a better brand but that aside is the Gorell 5100 meant to compete against the Simonton 5500? The same for my other comparison. Is that correct? Does Simonton have a window comparable to Gorell's 5300?

Thanks!

Once you click on the product in question, there are downloadable structural and thermal charts.

http://www.simonton.com/Products/_Produ ... id=0&sid=1

JamesTown

#6 Post by JamesTown »

Windows on Washington wrote:
JamesTown wrote:Hi ranger thanks for your reply.

Thanks!

Once you click on the product in question, there are downloadable structural and thermal charts.

http://www.simonton.com/Products/_Produ ... id=0&sid=1
Awesome, thanks!

JamesTown

#7 Post by JamesTown »

A friend of mine who installs gutter picked up a Simonton price book for me from the place he buys his gutters. I'm looking over this book and trying to compare it to the thermal performance link. I have a couple of questions:

In the book, for the 5500 it says that ProSolar Soft Coat Low E is standard. On the thermal performance link there are several options, namely Low-E 270/Lami (.060), Low-E 366/Lami (.060) and TiAC36/Lami (.060).

What are these? I don't see the price differences in the book my friend gave me. I see an option for SolarSystem Glass Package only. Which of the above comes standard for the Simonton Double-Hung 5500? Please help me match those performance numbers to the book I have.

Also, does Lami mean laminated? If so, does this effect the performance data?

Bill

#8 Post by Bill »

The 270 is the Prosolar the Lowe 366 is triple coating of low-e that provides a low solar heat gain that is desirable in a climate that is mostly air-conditioning .

Lami is laminated glass and it does not change the thermal properties much.

Where are you located? Simonton has several glass offerings I can make a recommendation based on your region.

JamesTown

#9 Post by JamesTown »

Bill wrote:The 270 is the Prosolar the Lowe 366 is triple coating of low-e that provides a low solar heat gain that is desirable in a climate that is mostly air-conditioning .

Lami is laminated glass and it does not change the thermal properties much.

Where are you located? Simonton has several glass offerings I can make a recommendation based on your region.
Hi thanks for that info. I'm in Dallas, TX

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'd be looking at the ETC Starter which is the 366 glass. Too hot down there for anything else. You need as low a solar gain as possible.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

lowest SHGC available & internal sash reinforcement on all double hungs an sliders