how to clean up the lead dust during installation

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
TheWindowNerd

Re: how to clean up the lead dust during installation

#16 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Now isn't limp wrist another whole social can of worms.

Todd thank you for your input and perspective.

Really I do not want to harm any of my clients or workers.
In 1998 when I completed the HUD/NARI Lead Remodelers Training Program the presenter and researcher said that mostly( I think he meant based on volume of cases) was a social-economics issue. Poor property maintance, poor child management, poor diet ( allows for heavy metal absorbing into bones) were several of the high contributing factors.
There are also cses of cross contamination, brigde painters contaminated clothes affecting his kids at home.
Sad stuff.

toddinmn

#17 Post by toddinmn »

Part of the reason it is social/economical issue is because of the housing the poor live in is in inner city ,older and more likely to be run down.Another part often is housekeeping as well. The cases that I mentioned did not fit this criteria except where the the child was chelated. That house was built in the early 1900's,tenants were poor,hispanic,the unit was kept clean and had peeling paint in only one area. The problem was it was at about eye level for a two year old.The exterior was in poor condition and could have been the source as well.
My brothers girlfriend lived at a seperate house with their child. She was having work done on her house and went to stay with my brother .My brother was painting/prepping the exterior of his house at this time and had some windows open . More than likely the child was poisoned from the dust
But as we should know the most likely sorce from lead poisoning is from windows. Not always from tear out but from dust and chips collecting in the trough/well area and on the floor in front of. This height is often perfect height for kids to access.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#18 Post by Window4U (IL) »

toddinmn wrote: Most window installers show signs of chronic lead poisoning as well.
The first 40,000 windows I replaced were almost all early century windows and I know for sure that I was poisoned by lead over a long period of time. On older guys like me who had long term exposure, the lead settles into the bone marrow then releases back into the blood stream during stress and/or illness.
I suffer from pain in my hands and feet from Peripheral Neuropathy and I've always attributed it completely to my diabetes. But, the more I read about chronic lead poisoning, the more questions I have about lead being a contributing factor to my neuropathy. I think I'll have some testing done next time at the doctor.

TheWindowNerd

#19 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Dave,
Next A1C have them do a Pb level.
Thewindownerd.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#20 Post by Window4U (IL) »

anthony wrote:Dave,
Next A1C have them do a Pb level.
Thewindownerd.

Three weeks ago I had an A1C done. I should have said something about testing to the doc then. Next time.