New Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
dsenier

New Windows

#1 Post by dsenier »

I am hoping for some help in picking out new windows that wont break the bank and will give us great efficiency for our home. We live in the Harrisburg PA area and our home is a 1956 Brick Ranch. We currently have vinyl replacment windows in but they are pretty cheap (cracking, missing parts, drafty).

Here is our list of top 3 most important things.

Efficiency
zero maintenance (cleaning is fine)
noise blocking

Options that would nice but the top 3 above are most important. i.e 10% adder is most I would pay, if this makes no sense then just throw the request out as a noob want luxury for nothing.

Esthetics (color options)
built in shade?

We have 17 Windows total here are approx measures

10 - 31x52
5 - 26x36
1 - 38x52
1 - Bow 127x53 w/ 3 pics and 2 casements 25x53 ea.

So far we had Appleby's out to hard sell us at $21k tried to close us same day and took 4 hrs! in our home. Is the Appleby System worth it at any price? We also went to Pella and liked the Designer series but $32k is way out of our price range. The Pella fiberglass series seemed pretty nice but still $18k installed. We almost had a quote done by Renewal Anderson but we refused to go thru the song and dance of another hard close company. It is painfully obvious that HomeDepot and Lowes carry junk so unless someone says otherwise not even gonna waste my time there.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

ranger

Re: New Windows

#2 Post by ranger »

Most pro's would agree that Pella's fiberglass window is poorly designed and not recommended. If you want fiberglass, look at Marvin infinity.

dsenier

#3 Post by dsenier »

I have no preference in regards to the material the windows are made with.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Vinyl windows are going to give you the best bang for your buck in terms of price and energy efficiency.

Some of the brands the Pros on here agree we like are made by Sunrise, Softlite, Okna and Gorell. All should be available to you.

For maximum sound reduction, ask that the windows be quoted with laminated glass.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

In fiberglass the Marvin product is nice. If you want the best value (performance, cost, durability, etc), you are going to find yourself looking at premium vinyl. The most common, and highly regarded products are Sunrise, Okna, Softlite, and Gorell. If you are set on the blinds in the glass, the Sunrise and Gorell both offer that.
I would definitely stay away from the high-pressure, outrageous-price outfits that you've met with to this point.

dsenier

#6 Post by dsenier »

Thanks! Who of the group would you consider to be the most agressively priced? I am checking with Sunrise and Gorell now.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Pricing is determined by the individual installation companies. Best advice is to shop around a little and compare as you would anything.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Pricing is determined by the individual installation companies. Best advice is to shop around a little and compare as you would anything.
+1 ... There are so many factors that play into pricing that it is impossible to say. You could look at the same product though two different dealers, and one could literally be twice as much. Get a few quotes so that you can compare product features, etc, but also to get a feel for the type of pricing that is in your market. I'd suggest contacting the manufacturers directly by website or phone to find a dealer in your area.

dsenier

#9 Post by dsenier »

I can understand that, I just want to beat all the fluff and get right to the best price asap. =)

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

The best price is rarely the best value. Don't make the mistake of ovrlooking the installation quality. Just because a company sells an upper tier window does not mean they offer the highest quality install.

dsenier

#11 Post by dsenier »

So I am looking into Soft-Lite and in my area they distribute via Mid South Building Supply who refered my request to a local contractor BMB Construction. How can I tell if this contractor will provide a quality install?

EcoStar Remodeling

#12 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Ask for references, check them out on Angies List, BBB etc. I would also ask for details on how the installation will be performed.

dsenier

#13 Post by dsenier »

I had a contractor over tonight with a quote for the Soft-Lite Barrington series the quote had no options except in the bow we added internal blinds. We gave him the specs from my original post and the quote came back at $9630 but I am concerned that he only quoted the lowest possible model that Soft-Lite carries. Can anyone offer some insight as to which Soft-Lite product line is the best bang for the buck?

A contractor is also coming out Friday morning to quote Gorell for us. I notice they have a timeless, timeless plus, 5100 and 5300 series windows. I want to make sure that we ask informed questions of the contractor on Friday. Additional help would be appreciated.

We hope to make a decision on who to go with by Tuesday 11/29.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Barrington is by no means, a bad window. It just is not as good as some of the other Soft-Lite offerings.

It is still miles ahead of many of the other windows out there sold as premium.

The Gorell is a nice product so you should get a good sample between those two.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

How did you feel the install would be with the Soft-Lite contractor?
Ask to look at his last two window jobs.

I would ask for a requote using Soft-Lite Imperial LS or =, it is in the premium catagory.