Vinylmax Sherwood

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
apoteker

Vinylmax Sherwood

#1 Post by apoteker »

Has anyone heard of the Vinylmax Sherwood window and if so, any opinions on its quality? It is supposedly a viny exterior/wood interior hybrid. I thought I had my window choice narrowed down to the Simonton 5500 vs the Sunrise casement but there is a $6000 difference between the two quotes. I didn't think the price would differ that much and then this window was offered to me as an option also. Thanks in advance!

Perfectionist

Re: Vinylmax Sherwood

#2 Post by Perfectionist »

I actually put these in my own house last year, and I'm now renovating a historic home and that needs an oak interior. I was doing another google today and came across your post. IMO this window is amazing compared to other wood windows. They use Amish hardwoods in poplar or Oak. Since it's not an aluminum capped product, they wont rot out. I got mine factory stained because it was cheaper than hiring my painter, and they do a better job by staining the wood front and back with two coats, then they apply two coats of clear. Since it's not aluminum capped, not pine, and they clear coated front and back I'm confident that they wont rot. These replaced my 12 yr old Marvins that I had that had rotted out and were out of warranty. I have a Sherwood (expensive) bay window that is so beautiful EVERY person that comes into my home is amazed. I have never seen a prettier bay window in my life! I couldnt find another manufacturer that would make a reasonably priced Oak window, and none of the wood manufacturers came anywhere near the U-values and efficiency numbers that this window does.

Before I bought mine I went to the factory. I'ts only an hour and a half from my house and I wasn't going to spend $20k on elaborate windows without seeing the product. I was blown away. They are made in Ohio by cabinet makers and the production run is pretty limited because it is such a hands-on product. I met the owner and some of the family members and that made me VERY comfortable. They have more options than any other wood window on the market. I have used many Vinylmax products with excellent results.

I will say that while I LOVE this product, if you dont really need the look of wood then you might want to save your money. The look fit my house perfectly and I know that when I sell my house I will easily get that value back, not to mention they are much quieter and more efficient than my old wood units.

If you're looking at Sunrise and Simonton, I would lean more toward Sunrise. Siminton products are not what they used to be, but if you are doing a rental property or saving a few thousand then they're good too. You may also want to look at Vinylmax's Hyde Park window or Gorell's lineup. I personally have used those in my upscale properties.

EcoStar Remodeling

#3 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I have used many Vinylmax products with excellent results.
If you are going to pose as a consumer, at least have the acumen to be consistent.

Perfectionist

#4 Post by Perfectionist »

I have a side Real Estate business and do an occasional flip. I own several mid-to-upscale properties and I know enough to be dangerous. You are correct. I am not a typical consumer, I don't pay retail and I am not an installer/contractor either. I still have to do my homework.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

This window looks like they glued the wood to a vinyl window. It is bulky looking with it's thick frame and check rails. You lose quite a bit of glass.this window does not look like a hybrid but more of an experiment or school project.I would look at the Anderson Woodwright if you want a more advanced and better looking window that is vinyl clad on the exterior and wood on the interior,There are also some vinyl windows that have a stainable interior as well and Marvin make a composite one as well.The Sherwood's are kind of pricey as well.