Simonton Prism / Reflections in Northern Virginia

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tlnt

Simonton Prism / Reflections in Northern Virginia

#1 Post by tlnt »

Hi.

I'm in the Fairfax County (Northern VA) area and have a 3 story townhouse and looking to replace about 10 windows. 5 DH in the front and gets quite a bit of sunshine in the afternoon. 5 2-sliders are in the back, sun in the early mornings. No tree in front yard.

I am interested in the Simonton Prism line. Any recommendations on local contractors in this area who are knowledgeable about the Simonton products and good installers?

I have narrowed down to bronze and the platinum lines however, still hard to find the non-glass differences (I know the glass packages seem somewhat standardized?). I gather (from this site and simonton's site), bronze has (is this correct?)
- single cam lock (option for two),
- single vent lock (no option for two?)
- rollformed screen (option for extruded)
- same welded frame and sash and balance as the platinum, different sill (though I'm not sure what is the diff)
-(default glass options were different of course)
-warranty for all prism line was double lifetime, 25 year accidental glass breakage, screen was covered lifetime.

Since there are not such a ETC like last year (10% of product cost / not labor up to $200 for windows and $500 for doors) and I believe VA's ETC has run out of funding too. Last years recommendations (searching on this board) was dominated by ETC glass considerations, mostly recommending pro solar (5550/platinum with single lowE, superspacer, etc). What's the current recommendations now, is it different?

Is ProSolar Soft LowE appropiate for this region/area? We get some heat/humidity in summer and it snows in winter. Is two coats/glazes of any LowE a problem for this area (too dark)? What should be the appropriate/recommended SHGC for this area?

Simonton's site seems a bit confusing to try to compare and get thermal data (e.g. supercept data seems not there???) For the bronze line - what package would get towards ETC?

Speaking with Simonton - they mentioned there is an Energy Star Northern Package - 2 coats of solarpro, supercept, 3/4" IGU (.29 U-factor and .25 SHGC), single strength? No superspacer option

For platinum, same super solar 7/8" IGU, Super Spacer, Argon Gas Fill
ProSolar, 1 Surface of Low E Glass, .30 and .26

Any thoughts would be appreciate!
Regards
tlnt

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Simonton Prism / Reflections in Northern Virginia

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Simonton ETC Glass is available until 12/31/2011. I would go with the ETC Super Solar at least on the southern elevation.

There are differences in air infiltration between the Bronze and the Platinum that make the Platinum worth considering.

HomeSealed

Re: Simonton Prism / Reflections in Northern Virginia

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

tlnt wrote: Any recommendations on local contractors in this area who are knowledgeable about the Simonton products and good installers?
I believe that you are in the service area of Windows on Washington. You won't find a more ethical or knowledgeable guy anywhere. You can find him in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5240&p=30909#p30909
Just click on his Get a quote button if you decide that you want to get in touch with him. I believe that he sells some Simonton as well as some of the other top choices.