Complete wood window replacement

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mrduffin

Complete wood window replacement

#1 Post by mrduffin »

I need to replace the entire wooden windows in my house due to the poor condition of the wooden trim and sill. I am looking for a replacement window manufacture that offers an entire double-hung window that has a brickmold-type trim and a sill. The house has wood siding so the window will need to a trim piece that will cover the siding where it meets the window to help make it watertight. Do any of the experts on here have a suggestion where to start looking? Thanks!

TheWindowNerd

Re: Complete wood window replacement

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Sure.
Andersen or Marvin either one will work.
What do you want the exterior to be made of ? Wood, aluminum, vinyl, or composite.
What material and finish for the interior? wood,vinyl, composite, stained, stained look, painted.
Are you planning to replace the interior casing and stools?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

While a full tear out has it application value and does give you the most amount of glass back, it is not always necessary and most customers are not prepared for the added expense of new interior trim, stool, and misc carpentry work.

Exterior trim is not structural and can easily be replaced without necessitating a full tear out.

If you are going with a full tear out, you would be advised to go with a new construction window, cut back the siding, and flash the sill/jambs/head. Wood siding is notorious difficult to get sealed up properly and needs very special attention.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:While a full tear out has it application value and does give you the most amount of glass back, it is not always necessary and most customers are not prepared for the added expense of new interior trim, stool, and misc carpentry work.

Exterior trim is not structural and can easily be replaced without necessitating a full tear out.

If you are going with a full tear out, you would be advised to go with a new construction window, cut back the siding, and flash the sill/jambs/head. Wood siding is notorious difficult to get sealed up properly and needs very special attention.
+1.
95% of the rot that I come across is on only the brickmold and sill nose. At worst, there may be some on the sill, but that can be spliced in. That exterior trim is not structural at all as WoW mentioned, and an insert can still be installed effectively (rotted areas can simply be cut out and patched in, or full replacement of exterior trim/brickmold if desired).
I agree on the second point as well, if you still desire to get a full tear-out, cutting back the siding would be advised in your application in order to properly flash the opening.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you do a full tear out and the existing units have brick moulding or flat casing you would not have to cut back to do a fin install.
You can do an "express install", retro fit a trip cap and back caulk to sheathing, then flashing tape the sill, install unit, cap and caulk.