I need help with Simonton 6500 vs 6100

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
alex

I need help with Simonton 6500 vs 6100

#1 Post by alex »

I got an estimate from Home Depot today on replacing 6 windows with Simonton 6500 or 6100. What are the benefits, if any, between single strength and double strength glass? What about triple- vs double-pane? I read somewhere that triple-pane is pretty much just a sales pitch.

I was quoted:

$4259 for 3/4" double-pane (single strength) E-270 U.34 6100 Standard Package. Will be able to discount $375 with promotion. Lifetime warranty on all pieces (seal, screen, etc) except the glass.

$5079 for (recommended by salesman) 7/8'' double-pane (double strength) E-270 U-.30 6500 Standard Package. Will be able to discount $750 with promotion. Lifetime warranty on everything.

$5829 for 1" triple-pane (double strength) E-366 U-.23 6500 Energysaver Plus. Will be able to discount $750 with promotion. Lifetime warranty on everything.

This is not a very simple in and out installation, but is also not very complicated, specially for professionals. By the way I live in Boston, I am sure that makes a difference on prices, but certainly not on the quality of that type of window.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Windows on Washington

Re: I need help with Simonton 6500 vs 6100

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I suggest that you expand your search and if you like the window, get a quote from a local Simonton dealer.

There are several posts on this board about Boston window choices and experiences.

Simonton is a solid brand and I would throw it in the mix with some of the well regarded windows out there in Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Gorell and Okna

alex

#3 Post by alex »

thank you

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Iirc correctly the HD 6100 is the same window as the Reflections 5050 and the 6500 is the Reflections 5500.

I second the advice by WoW that you should seek estimates from a Simonton dealer on these 2 windows before deciding.

ConfusedinSTL

#5 Post by ConfusedinSTL »

So what is wrong with having Home Depot do the Job I am in St Louis and Trying to find a good contractor and a decent product to install they seem to speak a good game, offered a very good lifetime window and labor warranty what gives ?

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

This topic has been beat to death. I would suggest doing a site search or a Google search as the reasons are voluminious.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Home+Depot+Win ... Complaints

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

In theory, nothing.

In application, there seem to be some consistent themes with the big box store installs.

Big Orange and Big Blue are huge companies and they probably do a ton of installs so you are going to break a few eggs when you make an omelet of that size. More installs, more potential issues.

That being said, there is no perceptible advantage to using the big box stores as compared to a local vendor. A local vendor can offer you the same product, better service, and probably a better installation.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Anytime you hire a company to work on your home there is a certain amount of risk involved. The reason that you do homework is to try and minimize that risk by getting a good quality product and a quality install. The "volume" products sold at the box stores are high-risk. On the installation side, they pay their installers a fraction of the "going-rate". This increases risk as well.