Replacing windows in Oregon.. No Schuco :(

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
buckZor

Replacing windows in Oregon.. No Schuco :(

#1 Post by buckZor »

I really appreciate this forum. I've been reading and learning. Its clear to me that Schuco is a fine window, I really appreciate German engineering and want Schuco windows in my home. Unfortunately, Schuco tells me they don't have any retailers out on the left :twisted: coast..... So now what?

For my home, I am wanting a very low U rating window on the upstairs of the home, where the majority of the time is spent and where the thermostat is located. I am hoping to get down into the low .2x numbers. So I am thinking I need to find a fiberglass, triple glazed, low-e, obviously argon filled and preferably with superspacer.

There is a TON of Milgard here in the Northwest, just about every Window replacement vendor in the phonebook touts the Milgard name.. I don't like Milgard, call me a defector, I don't care! All of their windows use Aluminum or "intercept" spacers and I am personally convinced that I do not want metal between my glass panes.

I would really appreciate some words of advice for some brand lines to look at since Schuco is not an option :oops: .. I looked at the Marvin Infinity line on their site, but I'm not seeing much technical information.. just marketing, no U ratings, no information on what spacer they use, whether a triple-glaze is available..etc. I know JScott pushes Infinity pretty hard.. can you provide some more info JScott?

So currently I am talking to people, seeking out the best damn installer in my neck of the woods (Portland) and asking alot of questions.

Brand availability in my area, from what I can tell so far:
LBL, Certainteed, Milgard, Marvin, Simonton, Renewal by A, Jeld Wen, Crestline, TMI (Amazing windows), Empire Pacific, Pella

wayside

#2 Post by wayside »

According to the NFRC (www.nfrc.org), the Infinity with argon has a U 0f 0.32, and an SHGC of 0.32. Triple pane doesn't seem to be an option: http://cpd.nfrc.org/pubsearch/psLineDet ... N-244_6891

I am also looking at fiberglass, because my wife does not like the look of any of the vinyl windows we have seen (Schuco is out of the question for me anyway, the distributor out here has been very negatively reviewed). Milgard was out of the question because they don't serve my area (eastern MA) and there are a lot of negative comments about them. Another fiberglass possibility I found is Comfort Line (www.fiberframe.com) which offers a triple pane with krypton, with a U of 0.22: http://cpd.nfrc.org/pubsearch/psLineDet ... I-K-1_1209, but I don't know anything about them but what is on their web site. I haven't seen one in person, and haven't really found much on the internet about how good they are.

There are other good vinyl windows besides Schuco though, why have you ruled all of them out?

buckZor

#3 Post by buckZor »

Thank you wayside for your feedback. I wasn't aware of ratings on the NFRC site, I will definitely pillage through their site..

I'll have to checkout "Comfort Line". Haven't heard of them yet.

I'm not ruling out Vinyl, Im planning to use good, but less expensive, vinyl windows on the bottom level of my home. I just have to rule out Schuco because there are no dealers west of Colorado, according to Schuco.

wayside

#4 Post by wayside »

"Im planning to use good, but less expensive, vinyl windows on the bottom level of my home."

Aren't you concerned that they will look noticeably different from the outside?

buckZor

#5 Post by buckZor »

Not terribly, my main concern is that its same manufacturer so the operables remain similar. My home is on a slope, so the bottom level is not really visible.

WindDoze

#6 Post by WindDoze »

buckZor

Have you thought about buying Schuco windows from a dealer outside Oregon and then shipping them to you? I've seen it done before. Find the best damn installer in Oregon and have him install them for you. Just a thought.

buckZor

#7 Post by buckZor »

Windoze... err.. hmm.. interesting idea. I'm expecting that Schuco, from a warranty perspective, may not like that idea... Maybe FenEx will weigh-in..?

buckZor

#8 Post by buckZor »

Update on Comfort Line. Furthest west they are available is Minnesota. Why can't a good window be found on the WEST COAST !!!! humbug. :evil:

harpo

#9 Post by harpo »

Comfort Line also uses intercept and suffers from corner seperation from time to time. U values are around .34 for double hung if my memory serves me correct. They do have a nice real oak veneer which does require some maintence but sure is pretty.

buckZor

#10 Post by buckZor »

Regardless, Comfort Line isn't available to me. Please someone with a suggestion from the brand availability I listed in my area? Im open to a dealer recommendation in Oregon as well!

Many thanks in advance!

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#11 Post by Window4U (IL) »

There are a couple brands like Polybau and Amerimax that are spoken here often as being pretty good. The west coast guys could tell you more about those brands.
You also have Simonton on the west coast which is a real good window in their better configurations.
You have enough good options there to not have to ship windows in from out east. Plus, there are other issues involved with shipping such as damage to the glass seals from a differential in altitudes that could make it not feasable.

buckZor

#12 Post by buckZor »

Window4U: Simonton is the Sears window right? If thats the case, should I consider Sears? If it's not the case, can you be specific on your Simonton recommendation? Keeping in mind I'm looking for .2x level U rating. Im taking from your post that you'd seek out Simonton over Polybau or Amerimax, correct?

Thank you for your input.

Bill

#13 Post by Bill »

BuckZor:

Go to Simonton’s web site www.simonton.com click on homeowner then dealer locator where you can enter your zip code to find a local dealer in your area. The best Simonton window on the west coast would be the Impressions 7500. Triple pane and Super Spacer is available in this window

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

buckZor

#14 Post by buckZor »

Thank you Bill.

Last night I met with another vendor at the house. Liked this fella better than the rest so far. He's a Milgard guy, wants to bid me for the Milgard Ultra sliders upstairs model 3110. Downstairs Styleline 6110 sliders and 6210 single hungs. There's also a garage window that he says a 3110 will look good on and save a little money, since I don't care about U factor on that location. Be a couple days before I get the bid.

How does that sound for choice of window?

mman

milgard bid

#15 Post by mman »

sounds like you are making steps in the right direction, but my question to you is if you are goind Ultra fiberglass upstairs, why go with Styleline downstairs, go with the Classic. The Ultra and Styleline have two different frame profiles and may look strange from an outside appearance. The Classic and Ultra look virtually the same and the Classic can perform as well as the Styleline with the right additions. Hope that helps.