competent window installer in vabeach

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
vbhomeowner

Re: competent window installer in vabeach

#31 Post by vbhomeowner »

cream painted exterior, std white interior.

TheWindowNerd

#32 Post by TheWindowNerd »

With the split finish you look at a new issue.
Coextruded cap stock vs paint.
Not only does Sunrise have the better choice(coextrusion) but also the AI numbers are much better.
Did you speak with the Sunrise rep about another dealer?

HomeSealed

#33 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree with Anthony again that the sunrise would be better for the reasons mentioned, however, I would not shy away from a painted exterior. We've used them with great success through various different manufacturers.

vbhomeowner

#34 Post by vbhomeowner »

The cream color is from the Simonton Decorum line, believe it is factory applied coating/paint just to outside of window.

As for the Sunrise, yes spoke to the rep, last dealer went out of business and only one dealer in the area and next closest one is about 60 miles away.

Guys, please do not get me wrong, I really loved the Sunrise windows and they are better windows than Simonton no doubt as are Okna, Softlite and Gorell, just want to know that will not have issues with service down the road if any issue arise or if local dealer quits the line or goes out of business himself.

Every supply shop sells Simonton so it is my view it will be easier to service later on and/or replace wood ones in back of house to match a few years down the road when they go, as wood will. Our neighborhood is about 24 years old where everyone had wood that need replacing to some degree. There are a couple people in my neighborhood who did something beside Anderson or Simonton or Marvin replacements, one did Shucco and another did Milgard (both are now gone from either the country or the east coast), they cannot get anyone to service their windows now. This experience is one factor in choosing a replacement window brand.

Bill

#35 Post by Bill »

The painted exterior finish is $232.00 list price under 120 UI and $277.00 120 UI and over.

The tan color is a co-extruded tan/white if that color works and costs 30% over the base window price.

I share your concerns regarding here today and gone tomorrow manufacturers; in my 30 years in the bus we have about 6 manufactures whose windows we sold that no longer exist. We had Shuco give a visit and I almost took on their line, thankfully I didn’t because they were gone within a year.

Windows on Washington

#36 Post by Windows on Washington »

Simonton is a solid window with a big company behind it.

I think you will be just fine with any of their upper end products.

vbhomeowner

#37 Post by vbhomeowner »

Bill - I am assuming that this is price for painted exterior option, and that is added to the Simonton Window (whether it is the Prism or 5500) as you configured it for me earlier in the post grateful because you were the first to say: hey upgrade to 366 and get all of this other stuff included in the package. I am assuming so, is this correct?

My spec window is: 32x62, 94UI, White on White, Grills, LoE366 glass package, with gives me Double Strength 1 inch glass and superspacer.

WoW - Thanks, yes only looking at Simonton 5500 and/or Prism Plat., which are their top windows in the Simonton line from what I read here, and apparently the same window under different names for the most part. Of course, someone just showed me the Marvin Intregrity (which got me thinking just a bit as it is a really nice looking window) until I saw price difference but it is paintable down the road.

Also, I really want to thank all of the pros who have posted here for your help, from Eco, to WOW, to Bill, etc. If one of you sold here in my area, I would use you for windows for sure. You all do credit to you profession unlike some companies who shall remain nameless.

Bill

#38 Post by Bill »

The price I posted is the list price for painting the Reflections 5500 or Impressions 9800.

The Prism window is a private label window sold exclusively through Norandex and as you know the Platinum is a rebranded 5500. We are Reflections and Impressions distributors so we do not have access to Prism pricing but I would assume that the painting price is the same.

HomeSealed

#39 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:Simonton is a solid window with a big company behind it.

I think you will be just fine with any of their upper end products.
I'd agree with this... Hopefully my comments did not come across as anything else. You could definitely do worse than Simonton, especially in their higher end lines... On the security that comes with purchasing from a larger manufacturer: In these economic times, I don't think there are any guarantees one way or another. Larger companies are certainly harder to sink, yet smaller companies may be able to better manuver and adapt to rapidly changing conditions. In the end, I think all of the "old rules" are out the window these days. I'd look at each individual company on its own merits.
Simonton is a solid company and product, so I think that you've made a safe choice on both accounts. It should serve you well. :)

vbhomeowner

#40 Post by vbhomeowner »

Spacer options: Supersept or Superspacer? Have had Simonton built with LoE366 glass, grids etc.

Another question though: they have me with superspacer, is supercept a be better option with internal grids, I saw on another board where lots of you pros post that Supersept might be better with internal grids. http://www.replacement-windows.com. Imagine the price is about the same. So can LoE366 glass option be built supersept instead of superspacer and does it really matter? And at that rate is intercept good enough?

Another question also: grid options 9 over 9 colonial or 6 over 6 colonial, assume pricing not much difference, what is the pros views one this one? Is there some historical basis for the difference in grid patterns or even width of the grid 5/8 vs 1 inch?

Windows on Washington

#41 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both are fine. I would not make a decision one way or the other on spacer.

There were some verbalized issues with grid alignment in super spacer equip windows but that seemed to be a small run.

vbhomeowner

#42 Post by vbhomeowner »

Okay good on spacer issue.

What is your professional view about 9over9 versus 6over6 grill patterns, any views on this from a design point of view and any view on 5/8 versus 1 inch width. I see some windows with 9over9 and some with 6over6, some with 5/8 some contours, some with 7/8 contours, or some with 1 inch contours, depending on window company. I see flat grid also but what contours grid for sure, think it is a nicer look, just debating 9over9 versus 6over6.

Windows on Washington

#43 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would go with factory default patterns on grid arrangement.

HomeSealed

#44 Post by HomeSealed »

It's all about personal preference on the grid design... Most folks choose to mimic their existing design as closely as possible. Did the board have any input on that? ... That may be a consideration.
The only thing that I definitely recommend is the contour. The flat bars are less appealing IMO.

vbhomeowner

#45 Post by vbhomeowner »

Many thanks, called Simonton to confirm and they said factory default for 32x62 size window is 9x9 (2H2W in each glass unit) with 11/16 inch grid size, contoured of course, totally agree on that.