New Pella 350 series Vinyl Windows - any good ?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Kirill

New Pella 350 series Vinyl Windows - any good ?

#1 Post by Kirill »

Hi,

I want to replace windows in my house and I found Pella 350 series at my local Lowes - which looks like a very good windows - 18 air chambers, 3 pane glass, U value of .2, R value of about 5
I know Pella had a bad press for their iron clad windows - but I am looking at brand new all vinyl product - is it a good purchase ?

I live in Chicago subburbs and the current windows in the house are 10 years old "contractor grade" - seal gone bad on all of them.

Please help me with decision.

Thank you,
Kirill

TheWindowNerd

Re: New Pella 350 series Vinyl Windows - any good ?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

You might be a little suspect of a company that has touted its products as the best
for so many years and it was laughable. Pella never wanted to sell vinyl windows they are a wood window mfg.
The 350 is their 1st attempt at a premium vinyl window.
I would pick a mfg that has been true and has proven products...
Soft-lite, Sunrise, Okna. I believe there is a great guy whu is a pro who post on here who serves your area, windows4u.
Look for one of his post and click on the get a quote buton above his name.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Looks like a pretty solid performer but Pella's vinyl history is spotty to put it mildly.

Check out Dave "Window4U" and he will take great care of you.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4979

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd echo the other pros... That product looks to be shift in the right direction for Pella, but there are better, more proven products out there. Window4U is the man to talk to in Chicago.

Kirill

#5 Post by Kirill »

Just want to update everybody on my experience with Pella.

I ordered 35 of Pella 350-series windows from Lowes and 1 wood trim window to match patio door in October - exactly a month ago. Lowes had a sale and they promised tp have windows delivered in 2 weeks. Indeed in 2 weeks my wood trim window came, but what I am still missing is 35 of vinyl windows. When I go to Lowes to check on status - they tell me they'll be here on Wednesday, when I go on Wednesday - they tell me it's going to be on Friday, and circle continues (just today I had another round). Now what makes it worse - it is getting colder, and I am doing brick veneer siding - so I need to have windows installed before masonry guys can finish brick. With Pella not delivering the windows - I am getting into really big trouble as the weather gets colder - mortar wouldn't be able to set properly.

This thread coming up one of the top results on Google for Pella 350 series - so hopefully somebody can learn from my experience.

I really don't know what to do. I need the windows now. I am loosing hopes that Lowes and Pella can deliver before spring, I'd like to tell Pella that I no longer want their windows, but I need to get replacements ASAP.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Well, unfortunately that is the type of situation that is to be expected when dealing with box stores. It sounds crazy to me that they ever even promised it to you in 2 weeks in the first place... Be sure to update us with your thoughts on the product once it arrives.

Kirill

#7 Post by Kirill »

I am in Chicago and Pella is in Iowa so it's very easy to get stuff from Pella, and I did receive the wood trim window in 2 weeks as promised. So If it weren't for me trying to get the new 350 Series and if I ordered any other Pella line I think I wouldn't be stuck in this mess.

It seems that Pella has some issues producing the 350 series

ranger

#8 Post by ranger »

The new Pella 350 is average, nothing special at all. Ask them about the air leakage rate and see how they dodge the question. Ask about the thickness of the outer walls and see how they also dodge that question.
As the other guy said, you should of looked at a premium window such as Okna, gorell, Sunrise, Polaris, or soft lite. If you put any one of those windows next to a Pella 350, you will immediately notice the superior design .

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Kirill wrote:I am in Chicago and Pella is in Iowa so it's very easy to get stuff from Pella, and I did receive the wood trim window in 2 weeks as promised. So If it weren't for me trying to get the new 350 Series and if I ordered any other Pella line I think I wouldn't be stuck in this mess.

It seems that Pella has some issues producing the 350 series
I am in Milwaukee not more than a couple hrs away from Chicago, and I have had nothing but problems when it comes to any customer service related issues with Pella, including shipping, service issues, etc. Their high end wood products are fine, but their attitude toward customer service has been lacking as long as I can remember... Although, it is just as likely that some worker at Lowes messed up the order somehow.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Things happen sometimes but they happen more often with the big box stores.

If you are in Chicago, did you ever talk to Dave (Window4U)?

The Okna 500 still blows away the Pella 350 and is a much more proven product.

Kirill

#11 Post by Kirill »

Windows on Washington wrote:Things happen sometimes but they happen more often with the big box stores.

If you are in Chicago, did you ever talk to Dave (Window4U)?

The Okna 500 still blows away the Pella 350 and is a much more proven product.
Yes I did talk to Dave, but Lowes promised delivery in 2 weeks and they had a sale with free 18 months financing that I really wanted to take advantage of, and now I am paying for that literally, and have no windows :(

In Hindsight - I should've ordered Okna from Dave. Hopefully people can learn from my experience with Pella

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sorry to hear that.

Obviously nothing is for free at the end of the day.

Jon081078

#13 Post by Jon081078 »

I just had 5 of the Pella 350's installed in my home by Lowes and I am loving these windows. I had no issues with Lowes or Pella, was impressed by the windows and Lowes installers and will be recommending to all my friends and family.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The 350 has a pocket sill. Yuk

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#15 Post by Window4U (IL) »

anthony wrote:The 350 has a pocket sill. Yuk
Really? Well, so much for Pella making an upward stride from the crap vinyl windows they have been selling.