Windows in North Jersey

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ramones

Windows in North Jersey

#1 Post by ramones »

Hello: I live in North Jersey and I was wondering/asking if any one in the area can help me with any recomendations/ suggestions for 20 double hung triple pane windows as well as two large picture windows and four basement windows.

ciao

Windows on Washington

Re: Windows in North Jersey

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What part of North Jersey?

There is a contractor/contributor on this board that is from New Jersey (Florham Park).

Look for threads by masterext or ranger.

The better brands you will see recommended on the board (Gorell, Okna, Soft-Lite, Sunrise) are certainly available in your area.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Windows on Washington wrote:What part of North Jersey?

There is a contractor/contributor on this board that is from New Jersey (Florham Park).

I don't think he's signed up for the board professional program, is he?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
Windows on Washington wrote:What part of North Jersey?

I don't think he's signed up for the board professional program, is he?
I was looking for that and I think you are right.

I emailed him to see about signing up.

ramones

#5 Post by ramones »

Hello again:
I live in a town called Mountainside, it is about 20 miles form Florham Park.
Is the message (I don't think he's signed up for the board professional program, is he?) concerning me or the contractor?
Just to reclarify, of the brands you suggested which are the better options to go with triple panes. That is because I live on a county road and I would like to abate ass much outside noise as possible without going to a impact/lamanated window.
I also would like to have a window which allows a larger amount of passive solar heat in during the winter since the front of the house tilts south/west. I would like the Solar heat gain coefficient to be higher because at least during sunny days it heats up the front rooms. I do realize that this is reversed during the summer but I was hoping for a match some where in the middle to take advantage.
The u factor can be as low as possible since that is related to the overall energy savings.
Is it possible to have a Solar heat gain coefficient in the 30's or 40's and a u factor in the 20's?
Thanks
ciao

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Triple pane glass does nothing to reduce sound. In fact it can actually have a slightly higher sound transmission rating than double pane.

If you want a higher solar gain, you will want double pane glass with 2 coats of loE. The Cardinal 270 or PPG Solarban 60 would be your best choice. I'm not sure the current status but you might want to ask if the cardinal 180 0r i80 is available.

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/co ... 180-glass/

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/products/co ... i81-glass/

ramones

#7 Post by ramones »

Hello:
Thank you" EcoStar Remodeling" for the fast reply.

The product sounds great. I will call the two closest offices asap, and see if I can set up an apointment.
Have you used the products yourself? Does the special coating last? Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks again
ciao

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

It's a fairly new product and not one suitable for most Virginia houses due to our warm Summers. It was really developed for homes in the northern regions.

As far as sound reduction, don't waste your money on triple pane for that reason. While triple pane will reduce higher sound frequencies, it does very little to reduce them in the lower ranges, which is the range you really want to filter. The only glass that will accomplish sunstantial sound reduction is laminated glass with 2 different glass thicknesses.

More than you probably ever wanted to know about STC and OITC.

http://www.sandv.com/downloads/0402lill.pdf

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

I have never seen a glass pak that will provide a u factor in the 20's with a SHGC in the 30's. In New Jersey I think you will benefit from a lower SHGC if you use AC in the summer

As suggested the double pane with lami glass will provide the best relief from the road noise.

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Double pane Cardinal 3/4 I.G. with LoE 180 on surface #2 and i81 on surface #4 with argon gas yields a U-factor of .21 and a SHGC of .59. Of course that's COG but even installed in a quality window would still net a U-factor in the mid 20's

http://www.cardinalcorp.com/technology/ ... nce-stats/

Bill

#11 Post by Bill »

Sky have you seen any of the window manufacturers offer it?

ranger

#12 Post by ranger »

living in nj, i would suggest getting a window with a higher solar heat gain.( not too high)
i know Okna, Gorell, and soft lite all offer double pane windows with shgc of between .25 and .30 . Okna uses guardian glass whereas both gorell and soft lite utilize ppg. i am not a fan of solarban 70 by ppg due to its shgc being too low as well as the window appearing very dark so solarban 60 would be the obvious choice if you chose a window using ppg glass.
the objective, as far as choosing an energy efficient window, would be to start by looking for a manufacturer who achieves a total U-factor of .28 or lower for double pane glass and a solar heat gain coefficient that isnt too low. the ufactor should be as low as possible though. however, i have installed a few windows that required a lower solar heat gain based on them being overly exposed to the sun. keep in mind, triple pane glass will bring the solar heat gain down as well.
i would also look at structural numbers such as DP Rating and air leakage numbers. i always like to see a window with a DP rating of 50 or higher and an air leakage rate of .09 or lower. thats just me though.
as far reducing noise, new windows, whether double or triple pane will make a difference. however, triple pane will not reduce noise much more than double pane. ive had customers tell me how much their new windows reduced noise. true noise reduction, laminated glass would be the best option.

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Bill wrote:Sky have you seen any of the window manufacturers offer it?

I haven't had the occasion to order it yet. I don't expect to anytime soon. I know it's available but a dealer this far south would have to be careful about using it. I'll ask my Sunrise Windows rep.

TheWindowNerd

#14 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Soft-lite has a lot of different glazing options.

ramones

#15 Post by ramones »

Hello : EcoStar Remodeling, Windows on Washington,Window4U, Ranger and Bill.
Thank you all for the wonderful and informative information you forwared in regards to my post.

An update. I have been trying for a week to have the Cardinal rep get back in contact with me to see if they can provide a dealer in the area which could provide the LoE 180 or LoE 181 coating.
I have pretty much finalized the windows search to Okna or Corell as the window I would want coated with either the 180 or the 181. The product sound like it should be standard on all Northern regions.
Also, in one of the first posts by Windows on Washington, you said "There is a contractor/contributor on this board that is from New Jersey (Florham Park)." Does he still contribute? If so can he contact me to arrange a site visit. If not, anyone one else in North Jersey you might recommend?

Ciao