Need New Sliding Patio Door

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
CincinnatiDan

Need New Sliding Patio Door

#1 Post by CincinnatiDan »

Hi, I'm brand new to this board. I need a new sliding patio door. The old one is very hard to open, and sticks sometimes. The handle also keeps coming off. We spray it with WD-40 and other lubricants, but it is still not easy to open.

We are on a budget, and are thinking about the Reliabilt slider #312 with internal built in blinds, available at Lowes for $758. Lowes will install it for $349. I have read on this forum that Sunrise is recommended, but I don't know if we can afford that.

How much would a Sunrise 72" slider with internal blinds cost (I haven't been able to find a price on-line)?

How much would I expect to pay for a quality door with installation from a window company?

Does Reliabilt make a good door?

Can I expect the door and the blinds to last for years?

Can I get it fixed if the blinds break?

Is $349 a reasonable installation charge, and can I expect a good job from them?

Thanks for any help.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Need New Sliding Patio Door

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Reliabilt doors are fine for those on a budget or for a rental property. The are no where near the quality of a Sunrise Patio door which IMO is the best on the market. It's also likely you will get a much better installation from a Sunrise Dealer as opposed to having Orange install the door for you. It's like comparing a Lexus to a Chevy. Pricing varies from dealer to dealer and is affected by the dealers cost of doing business.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

CincinnatiDan wrote:Hi, I'm brand new to this board. I need a new sliding patio door. The old one is very hard to open, and sticks sometimes. The handle also keeps coming off. We spray it with WD-40 and other lubricants, but it is still not easy to open.

We are on a budget, and are thinking about the Reliabilt slider #312 with internal built in blinds, available at Lowes for $758. Lowes will install it for $349. I have read on this forum that Sunrise is recommended, but I don't know if we can afford that.
It is advisable to stretch your budget a little bit so that you don't end up with the same problems in a few years because you bought a mediocre product.

How much would a Sunrise 72" slider with internal blinds cost (I haven't been able to find a price on-line)?
Find a Sunrise dealer and get a quote. Prices will vary, but you can probably expect roughly twice as much (or more) than the other door you've seen.

How much would I expect to pay for a quality door with installation from a window company?
See above.

Does Reliabilt make a good door?
If you see a high quality door in person, you'll be able to see the difference in quality immediately.

Can I expect the door and the blinds to last for years?
If you buy a high quality product, Yes.

Can I get it fixed if the blinds break?
Generally they are covered under the product warranty

Is $349 a reasonable installation charge, and can I expect a good job from them?
Most dealers price their products "installed". I would just look at the total cost rather than trying to break it down. As for whether or not you'll receive a good install: You may, or you may not. What I do know is that you have an increased likelihood of a poor install when you deal with a company that pays their installers far less than the "going rate". There are several threads about the box store installations on this board that are worth looking at.
Thanks for any help.
See above :)

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Sunrise make a very nice Patio door and it is miles above reliabilt in terms of quality.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1