Wincore vs. reliabilt

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
denn-i-tron abc

Wincore vs. reliabilt

#1 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

I am going to be replacing my windows in my small house. I have only 8 windows. I am trying to decide between reliabilt 3100 and wincore. Lowes is pushing the reliabilt and there installer for almost 2900.00 The contractor I know say the wincore is as good if not better than the reliabilt. They are almost 1/2 the cost for the windows ans 1/2 the cost for installation. Does anyone have any information on this matter. please help!
Thank you

Windows on Washington

Re: Wincore vs. reliabilt

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Wincores are cheaper?

What model?

The Wincore window is a pretty solid performer and is effectively a Simonton clone.

If you installer is good and you have seen and trust his work, that is good combo.

denn-i-tron abc

#3 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

I will contact the contractor I don't recall the model number 8300 is what is stuck in my head. But they also said they have a 50 year warrenty. Is that possible I know the one Lowes is want me to buy only have a 20 year warranty if there contractor installs them. I just can't see paying someone a 100.00 per window the largest window is 57x45, Plus I have been contacted by Lowes almost everyday for 2 weeks. They are almost as bad as champion. Why the push?

dsenier

#4 Post by dsenier »

Lowes and Home Depot are horrible and the installers they use are whoever they can get, even guys who work out of their house. I would stay away and find a company who specializes in windows.

denn-i-tron abc

#5 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

Ok, that is good information to know. I have a contractor and I have seen his work. The biggest concern is I have never heard of wincore windows. I have heard of reliabilt. The contractor recommended using the wincore over the reliabilt. Is that a good recommendation.

dsenier

#6 Post by dsenier »

Keep reading on this site Denn. Check out Okna, Gorell, Sunrise & Softlite, all of the installers here recomend them.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

$100 per install is an amazing price for a consumer to pay for a high quality install including capping. There are many jobs that I pay out more than that as a contractor.
Here is my breakdown:

On box stores: mediocre product and installers that work for a fraction of the going rate. Draw your own conclusions as to how that will affect quality. On the plus side, they should be around down the road to service you if needed (and more than likely it will be needed). If you are okay with that, you may as well go to Window World, as you'll probably pay less for the same.

On the other guy: Better product (B minus, imo). Install? Who knows. The thing that frightens me is what the guy is willing to work for. He may be a good installer down on his luck, but its definitely a gamble at best. Where will he be in 4 years when the windows is leaking or needs a part replaced?

I'd call a couple reputable, local window companies that sell premium products. Just know that you will pay more than the two options above (but probably less than Champion). In the window business, there are three main segments: The marketing companies that scam you for $1000+ ea, the cut-rate and pick up truck guys that sell junk for $200-$300 installed, and then there are the guys in the middle that actually care about their work and the product that they are installing, and charge a fair price that falls somewhere in the middle. That's where you want to be.

denn-i-tron abc

#8 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

Ok , Again great information. Let me make sure I understand. The Wincore is the better Window?
I just need to find a window installer?

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Wincore make 2 models, the 5400 and the 7700. The 7700 is their top tier window and is definitely better than the Reliabilt. The 5400 is their window for the budget minded consumer. Not a bad window and probably more comparable to the Reliabilt. I'd still chose the Wincore 5400 over the Reliabilt even if they were the same price.

denn-i-tron abc

#10 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

Ok, I like the Wincore:
How about the installation, I am certain I can do a quality job replacing my own windows. Or is it reccommended that a contractor does it. I can spend a few extra bucks and get top of the line windows or settle for the lower cost and have someone do it.
What do you reccommened on this?
Please understand I thank each one of you for the advice to this point.

EcoStar Remodeling

#11 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I don't know what you skill level is so I can't tell you if you are capable. Do you plan on capping the exterior with trim coil? If so, have you ever used a Brake? I can tell you we do get calls from time to time from homeowners who decided to replace their own window but discovered it wasn't as easy as it looked. They now want us to undo what they have done and re-install the windows correctly. The charge to do this is more than we would have charged if we had been hired to do the job the first time.

Some other things to consider is that you will be responsible for measuring the windows correctly. If you make a mistake, you will not be able to return the window and will have to reorder it, very likely at the full price. You will also be responsible for dealing with any warranty issues that may come up in the future which means removing and re-installing any parts that may go bad or perhaps even the entire window. Not trying to talk you out of it but these are responsibilities you need to be aware of.

denn-i-tron abc

#12 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

My skill level is extremely high, My next real question is how often is it that there is a defective window that comes around to haunt you later in life?

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Sounds like you are prepared. Good luck if you decide to do it yourself. Let us know if you need any advice.

denn-i-tron abc

#14 Post by denn-i-tron abc »

I would like to think everyone for there help. I am going to install the Wincore 5400 series window. The salesman has recommended a contractor who will come out and show me how to install the first window. The salesman also will be out to get all of the measurements so that will take the guess work out of it.
Again Thank you all ! I think the choice to pick wincore over the reliabilt window is a good one.

dsenier

#15 Post by dsenier »

Just curious did you get a cost for install vs cost for materials only? If so was the difference big?