SE MI/NW OH looking to replace 25 year old Anderson windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: SE MI/NW OH looking to replace 25 year old Anderson windows

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ida-Boy wrote:First answer is about full tear out... No is my answer. We have not considered it because of the extra work that we assumed would come with that. The outside of my home is vinyl and its 25 years old and hard to work with. Brittle I would say... I was not prepared to replace vinyl also. I may be wrong about this...

I did stop today and checked out the Sunrise lines, Verde and Restorations; I like the fibercore construction making them stronger, and ultracore foam filled frames. I see that they offer a larger viewing area than most vinyl windows but disappointed that the coatings in the glass are reduced when "between the glass blinds" are optioned. He stated that the blinds tend to scratch the coatings...

Hard Coat Low-e is required in most applications where blinds between the glass are used in a dual pane IGU.

I forgot what he "rough" guessed a 34 by 52 window would be but I will be getting an measurement later this week. For 16 windows I would guess about $12,000 at least.

He did understand what I meant when I said that I am looking for the "best bang for the buck" and said I will probably be happy with the Verde line. I think I would like full screens better and that would be an option with the Verde line.

The Restoration line have full screens with Opti-view screens, nicer locking and tilt controls.
Window purchases should be a one time deal so make sure you get what you want at the end of the day and are 100% happy with the choices. It will be something that you live with for the rest of your life.

Ida-Boy

#17 Post by Ida-Boy »

Well, I first want to say thank you to all who have posted in response to my questions... Looks like Sunrise Restoration is going to win out over Simonton and Gorell. Sunrise Restoration also looks esthetically better.

I have another question that I want to ask opinions on: We are looking at going with the Restoration with Ultra U and full screens here in southeast Michigan.
My question is, I have 1 south facing window in an upstairs insulated and finished room, which is sometimes called a bonus room which is above the garage. There is NO forced air runs in that room, and in the summertime its gets hot. I was thinking of upgrading the glass to Omega 12 which has a lower SHGC rating, from .28 to 21 in a double hung window. Would it be worth the difference???
I am also think of upgrading the sliding door which faces east to Omega 12 glass for the same reason. It is a large area of glass, and because it is such a large area would it be helpful to upgrade to reflect the suns rays in that large doorwall? The door wall is in our dinning room...

EcoStar Remodeling

#18 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I would do that as long as you realize it will also reduce heat gain in the winter. OTOH it will keep the heat in better in winter also.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

The majority of complaints that I get are on triple pane sliding doors. They add a substantial amount of weight, for little savings if any. If you use it often, stick with double pane.

EcoStar Remodeling

#20 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Omega 12 is double pane, not triple pane.

Ida-Boy

#21 Post by Ida-Boy »

Yes, Omega 12 is double pain. I notice in the mornings the additional warmth in the dinning area and am giving it some thought... Got estimate on 16 double hung and 1 sliding door. The largest windows are 34 by 56, about 5 and about 5 slightly shorter. Install with an upgrade to full screens, white on white and some privacy glass in the lower sashes on the 2 bathroom windows in under $11,000. That is better than I expected.

I will be supporting a local business in the county and doing business with a company that I have done business with in the past for over 14 years.

I seen a couple of Simonton, and have been told they where bought out last year by one salesman, and another said 5 or 6 years. One also told me that the put them in their home... I understand... They probably got an even better price. The window did not have the quality control that Sunrise had. Poor looking corners, and the coloring is like a laminate and not mixed in the vinyl like on Sunrise.

We have decided not to make a 35 mile trip to look at Gorell and just go with Sunrise Restoration. Whatever I seem to do I just can't see anything better out there right now.

Oh, one Polaris dealer did a trick with a can of spray and a temperature gun, and the Simonton did a heat transfer test with a heat lamp. Impressive but I have to look at these windows for as long as I live here, and think they both had a gimmick with the heat.

TheWindowNerd

#22 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, ignore the gimmicks.
You have made a great choice with Sunrise.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

Good choice! :D