Please HELP.. Need windows installation quesstion

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Please HELP.. Need windows installation quesstion

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Header expander is a small cap trim piece designed to take up any inconsistency in the window opening and hide the top edge of the window where there is not and interior stop.

They are designed for the window head (top) and not for the sides.

The sides should have been measured within 1/4 inch (1/8th inch on each side) net measurement of the smallest measurement. At that point, the smallest gaps would have been covered with a small amount of foam and/or caulking.

What likely happened is that the window was measured improperly and instead of re-ordering the window or trimming out with some sort of casing or 1/4 round trim, the installer concealed his error with header-expander on the sides. That is a no-no and not acceptable.

I would require that the windows are removed and re-set or reproduced and installed by a qualified installer.

BillTX

#17 Post by BillTX »

A header expander used correctly fits at the top of the window. In your case it appears the installer used header expander on both sides of the window to fill in a gap caused by the window being too small for the opening. A good window contractor will order windows custom made to the size of each opening, leaving a small gap (1/16 - 1/8") to be caulked or covered with trim.

TLHWINDOWS

#18 Post by TLHWINDOWS »

hsepehri@yahoo.com wrote:Thanks for all your replies.....I still confused by some of the remarks given. Here is the problem..

I have a home depot rep going today at 5:00 to go over the issue. I want to explain to him the installation job has horrible. But I obviously need to know what I am talking about. A few things were pointed out:

What are head expanders? From the forum replies it looks like it was installed. Why should it not be installed?
Why is it a bad install?

Again any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Any pictures of the outside?