Starmark Window/Insert Installation Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Windows on Washington

Re: Starmark Window/Insert Installation Question

#16 Post by Windows on Washington »

Is that the middle finger or the forefinger?

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

I was only born with 4 fingers on that hand as you can see! :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#18 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep, on occasion we cap over the drip.
But only after capping and sealing the exterior casing under the original metal drip cap.
We then back caulk a new drip cap over the old just to clean up the appearance while maintaining the drainage plane.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

We do that on occasion as well. Depends what the old one looks like. We did one last week where the new trim was blue, the old trim (and drip cap) was green, and the siding was white. Would've looked terrible without it.
Unfortunately there are too many lazy guys that just bend right over it, caulk it, and run. :x

buddy110

#20 Post by buddy110 »

HomeSealed wrote:
anthony wrote:Your old windows probably had a built in flange and did not need to be caulked to the J channel.
The new inserts do not have that and need to be sealed to the J channel.
I would just add that it really depends on the exact circumstances... In fact I have seen far too many replacements installed where the new capping is installed over the drip cap and the caulk to the vinyl. That is a major no-no. I diagnose leaks on those installs on a regular basis. Vinyl siding is design to allow moisture behind it, and caulking that to the window or trim in some cases will direct water right into the window opening.
I know that you are aware of that danger anthony, but I just wanted to clarify it for the OP and others who may view this.

I'm going to agree with HS here. Far too many installers think that caulk is a do all end all seal. It's not.

OP I like the foam wraps on the windows, as long as both inside and outsides are sealed. The size of the gap is the determining factor for us. If I can fit the nose of my foam gun in the gap, I use foam, If, as in most cases the window is measured tight (commonly referred to as goodntight) :lol: then we use caulking. :