sunrise winows and the northeast

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
davidb8765

sunrise winows and the northeast

#1 Post by davidb8765 »

hello, so i went to check out sunrise windows today. per everyones great reviews and from what ive learned on this site, i was all prepared to be blown away when i finally got to see and handle this great window. i came away with a whats the big deal kinda feeling. i felt it was an average feeling and operating window.i live in upstate n.y., where it gets pretty cold sometimes. im looking for a window thats beefy, that when you handle it , its got some weight to it . i made a reference to slocomb windows on an earlier blog. the slocomb, while not as pretty as the sunrise, seemed like a heartier window. more solid, and slightly more energy efficent. the prettiest window ive seen so far is the marvin ultrex fiberglass. has great lines and narrow profile, but didnt get great reviews from you guys. need some more insight, and reccomendations. thanks.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: sunrise winows and the northeast

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Different strokes for different folks. If you want an average performing window that feels "Beefy" then take a look at Simonton Reflections 5500, Alside Ultra-max or Alside Sheffield.

Most of our customers want a window with as much glass as possible. Sunrise is able to get better overall performance out of a narrow frame window than any manufacturer of a "Beefy" Window.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davidb8765

#3 Post by davidb8765 »

hello, not looking for an average or mid range window. im looking for the best window on the market today. our winters are tough,and long. i want a window that blows the others away. maybe im looking for something thats not out there.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

You are equating bigger with better. It's a common mistake. Better manufacturers do market research and know what their consumers are looking for. Most want as much glass as possible but also want low air infiltration and high structural ratings. The Sunrise Window allows up to 40% more light depending on the size of the window when compared to the Ultra-Maxx. It's a huge difference with small to medium size windows. In addition, the Sunrise Max-Edge spacer IMO is the best looking spacer available. Especially if you want internal grids.

You could also take a look at Power Remodeling or Champion if you are into the 1980's bulky boxy look.
Last edited by EcoStar Remodeling on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

This was posted on the other thread already, but if you are looking for a window that will blow the others away, sunrise, HiMark/Okna, and Softlite are your choices. The thermal and structural numbers tell the story.... You won't find many other options that are in the same league, all things considered.
As Eco alluded to, "bulky" does not equal quality.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote: As Eco alluded to, "bulky" does not equal quality.
I am offended by that remark.

randy

#7 Post by randy »

Have you looked at the Soft-lite Elements or Imperial LS? They have beefier frames and great ratings. You might just prefer the beefier look and there's nothing wrong with that.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If you want the best as far as thermal performance goes then Okna 800DX or InLine fiberglass both with triple pane.
You should be wowed by the performance and structural testing #s.
What is your zip?
Maybe Buddy, a pro who post here will be able to help you.

Insulators Home EXT

#9 Post by Insulators Home EXT »

I would look into the Starmark window 900 Series Double Hung, Triple pane, foam filled extrusion if you want the best U Value in the market today. It is a Cellular Composite window comparable to the Anderson Renewal, but a lower price point.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Insulators Home EXT wrote:I would look into the Starmark window 900 Series Double Hung, Triple pane, foam filled extrusion if you want the best U Value in the market today. It is a Cellular Composite window comparable to the Anderson Renewal, but a lower price point.
I agree with your recommendation on the Starmark, but comparing it to RBA is an insult. It is twice the window as RBA. On pricing, that will vary, but generally the RBA is overpriced in most circumstances.