Good price for new windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
topperforever

Good price for new windows?

#1 Post by topperforever »

I live in Omaha and have a bid for windows from local window company.
It is for the following windows. They are all Softlite Bainbridge vinyl with triple pane and colonial grids in the windows. The price is for complete windows, removing , disposal, installing new brick mold on outside (more than 1/2 the windows had no brick molding at all and new trim inside. We have to stain inside trim. This is a 2 story house.
2-6'x 6' oriel style windows in sunroom with 4 pulled together
6-double hungs mulled together (3 windows 4.5' x 4.5' each)
1-double hung 3' x 2.5'
2-triple sliders (1-10'x 5' & 1-10' x 4')
4-double sliders (1-4'x4', 1-3'x 4', 1-2'x 3', 1-4'x 5')
The total is a little over 17,000. Is this a decent price? :?

TheWindowNerd

Re: Good price for new windows?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I can not see your total scope of work.
Some of what you describe sounds like full tear outs.
The product you have picked is OK, I would look at the LS.
If you are sure this is the right installer then stick with them, who you have do the project is slightly more important than the product.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

topperforever

#3 Post by topperforever »

My understanding it is complete tear outs of the windows because we are not sure of the insulation in the original installation. If there is not enough they will insulate with foam. Our neighbor had the same contractor install the same windows about 3-4 months ago and he is pleased with the results.
There are just so many window manufacturers and dealers its hard to know if you are getting a fair bid or not.
Thanks for your response

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Soft-lite is a great company. I would still look at the LS model.
With full tear outs it is not a matter of if there is enough existing insulation, the RO will get foamed if done the best way.

topperforever

#5 Post by topperforever »

But is 17K a good price for 17 windows and only 11 opening?

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Bainbrdge is not considered premium.
There is still too much unknown about the scope of work and product.
Is the TP w/argon or something else.
I would suggest that you get more local quotes.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

topperforever

#7 Post by topperforever »

We have some really big windows and from what I have read the softlite is a very good window. What would normally be the difference in price between the Bainbridge and the LS?
The dealer I am dealing with is the only Softlite dealer in the area.
We have windows that are 2 double hungs next to each other in an opening. Is this considered 2 windows since there is only 1 opening or 2 windows?
2 of our windows are 10 foot wide by 4 and 5 foot high picture windows with sliders on each end. We have a small sun room with 2 windows that are 6 foot by 6 foot that have no windows that open. The dealer offered a oriel style to allow air in the sun room. Is the size of these windows why the price is so high???

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#8 Post by masterext »

commenting on price when we dont completely know the full scope of work involved is unfair to the company. to me, it kind of sounds like its within the normal parameters of pricing for what you describe.

randy

#9 Post by randy »

I agree with masterext, there's no way for us to tell you if the price is fair. It doesn't sound alarmingly high to me.

Also, the Bainbridge, while not as good as the LS or Elements, is a well built window that outperforms most vinyl windows. You may not have an LS dealer in Omaha anyway.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Again with out the full scope of the project I can not provide accurate pricing.
Two units taht are joined together is a twin= two windows or one opening.
Some of the sizes you mention may require safety glass and or heavy duty glass.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

Anthony,

Maybe I'm confused. You had posted this:
From me with a premium units $15,300.
But then you posted this:
Again with out the full scope of the project I can not provide accurate pricing.
What was the $15,300.00 in reference to? I had assumed you were giving the price that you would quote. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

topperforever

#12 Post by topperforever »

I am not sure if I know what you mean by the "full scope of the project"
This is how The contractor wrote up the Quote:
6 softlite bainbridge vinyl sliders with colonial grids, 2-triple (the big picture windows) and 4 double. All in white PVC
11 softlite bainbridge vinyl double hungs with colonial grids, 4 oriel mulled together for the sun room and 6 mulled together for 3 bedrooms upstairs. these are all triple pane with argon.
He said they would pull the units out from the outside and install new brickmold and wrap them? (Only about half the windows have brick molding around them)He said they would have to pull the trim inside but would replace with new but we would have to stain etc. (Is this usually necessary?)
Removal, disposal, permit, and installation is all included.
Does all this make sense?

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

OP, you have to get someone else to do a site visit and spec quote if you want a valid comparison.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

topperforever

#14 Post by topperforever »

What other windows would you recommend that would be comparable to the Softlite? I had a bid a little over 6 months ago on a Elite 4050 and they were all slider windows. It came in a little over 12,000 but can not find much information on the Elite, and am not too sure going with an off brand window.
Thanks for your help

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would look for Sunrise or Okna as alternatives to the SL if nessacary.
You might consider having someone write a spec bid for you.
You will need to pay for it and it could cost you $400 or $500.
It will specify all the details of material selection and and the installation.
If done properly this document will allow you to do X to X comparision.
Also if you find the right contractor to do it they may offer to rebate the cost of the spec bid back to you if you choose them to do the work, though you are not obligate to sign a contract with them.